Clear all

Need Some Help With Reading This Tab

27 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

would this be a lot easier to play if I used a cappo?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well without a capo on the 2nd fret it won't sound anything like what is played on the video, thats for sure.

As for making it easier, in a word, NO. You still need to learn all the correct chords, to change between the chords at correct times and paces, the strumming patterns etc. Just putting on a capo won't do any of that.

As some people have mentioned before (and to which I have to agree);

Go and Learn the Basics! :)

If you keep putting all your energy into trying to play this song without going through some sort of structured learning process, then you are just going to end up tired, frustrated and annoyed for not being able to do it.

It takes lots of time and practice for even experienced guitarists to learn to play a song, particularly one like this, which isn't 'simple' by any means, and (sadly) there are no shortcuts.

My advice, condensed;

1) Learn your basic major chords (C major, A major, G major, E major, D major)
2) Learn some minor chords (A minor, E minor, D minor)
3) Practice switching between each of the chords slowly and in good rythmic patterns

Once you can switch through some chords with a fair pace, THEN come back to the song and try it again. Be warned though, there are still other things you'll need to learn to play this song as you hear it on the video (palm muting, forming chords with all 4 fingers, using your pinky finger to alternate a chord's sound).

There are many other, far, FAR simpler songs that you could/should learn to help you, check out the Easy Songs forum from the main page, it full of just such songs.

I know it's annoying when you really want to play something and can't, but think of this song as a goal to work towards, not a hurdle to get over.

You'll find that getting this right takes time, but to play a guitar and an existing song is a long-term investment, not something that can happen overnight.

I know this sounds a bit of a downer, but look on the bright side:

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US had to go through this.
A LOT OF US still go through it when learning new material.
NO GUITAR PLAYER EVER got anywhere easily.

Keep up the practice, perservere, listen to the excellent advice of the people of GN, and you'll get there. :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks a lot for your advice man..now I have another question for you..how beneficial would guitar lessons be? They are kind of expensive but I would really like to learn how to play the guitar so that I can start playing some of these songs and start enjoying it. I'm curious, because I see so many tutorials on the internet and books in the stores on how to play, that I am wondering if it would be worth the money.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

why don't you try some online stuff like the lessons here for eg, see how you get on and if you are struggling try a couple of lessons with a tutor and see how you do?

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah that's what I'm thinking..I do want some structure though..I want to start from the beginning and work my way up..I don't want to mix lessons up and learn the wrong way..and I do want to know if I'm doing something wrong too

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you can afford lessons, get them. Espescially in the beginning you don't want to struggle around on your own: it's very much possible you wont realise any errors in your technique until it's way too late to easily correct them.

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am a pretty fast learner though...I have just started playing guitar and can play the beginning to Dave Matthews Band's - Big Eyed fish..I can almost play Ryan Cabrera's "She's" beginning...and I can play some sandman from metallica...I know those songs aren't too hard..but I can learn pretty quickly..I'm just afraid if I take lessons..the guy will go too slow and I won't get my money's worth

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm just afraid if I take lessons..the guy will go too slow and I won't get my money's worth

That's a tough one, not having taught anyone else (formally) myself, I can only refurgatate what I've learnt on GN :D

A good teacher will be able to take you at a pace that is right for you. However, "going slow" isn't always a bad thing to do, plus with a teacher you will get the benefit of being taught how to hold the guitar properly, which can make an AMAZING amount of difference to your playing, as well as being taught some of the theory that, while it may seem *boring* at the start, will help you no end once you start going up the ladder (and boy, is it a high ladder!)

My advice?

Find a teacher, and go to the free 1st lesson that you can get (a lot of teachers offer the first lesson free to hook you in) and see how you like it.

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll check around my area to see if any teachers offer a free first lesson..thanks for the advice

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

alright...the best music place around here has lessons for 70 dollars a month...I meet once a week for a half hour..I'm not sure what you guys think about that..could you give me some input on if I should do it or not?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That means about $18 a lesson, seems about right to me. I pay E16 for half an hour of piano lessons, which is about the same. If the teacher is good that price is well worth it.

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I got guitar lessons and am happy I did...my teacher tought me how to play the above chords with a capo..(I also got a capo) and I can do it now..but I don't think it sounds like it does in the video...I realize that some people already tabbed it from the video..but when I play it with the capo..it just doesn't sound like it does in the video..I was wondering if anyone could give insight..
here's the video..can anyone help me tab the song in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lENKvj42eA

THANK YOU

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2