Clear all

New guitar "Set Up"...some questions?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Folks...hi all, I'm seriously looking at purchasing an electric (Strat I believe) and in researching all that I can, I repeatedly read about having the guitar set up properly (as oppossed to "out of the box" settings). Now I get the part about string buzz (adjusting the action) but what else should I be looking for? I've only been at this for 2 short months (acoustic) so any help would be appreciated.

Take care,

Mike

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You should probably check for intonation, neck relief and pickup height.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You can adjust saddle height too, right?

You'll want a qualified tech to handle this, especially if it's your first time. Lots of players can detect problems with buzzing and action, but it takes a trained mind to know what the source and best solution are.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

mwilliams

First of all, Welcome to GuitarNoise!

Setting up your guitar is not difficult. And knowing how to set it up will save you money and allow you to set up your guitar exactly as you like it.
Everybody is different. Some people strike the strings very softly while others bang away! A person who strikes the strings with force would want higher action to prevent buzz. The guy at the music store won't know this.

If you are interested in Strat style guitars then go to Mr. Gearhead. It has excellent instructions on setting up a guitar properly. If you mess up, then take it to a shop. Unless you super overtighten a truss rod there is very little chance you will mess up. And once you do it you will never need or want someone to set up your guitar again.

http://www.mrgearhead.com/

Click on Fender, then under Setup Guides click Stratocaster.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote