Notifications
Clear all

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just started playing guitar about 3 weeks ago. I have a Takamine GS330S acoustic gutiar and a friend of mine just leant me a Fender Standard Stratocaster Mexican made electric guitar with a Guitar Research 30W amp. I like the sound of the acoustic but really want to learn how to play the electric. I have been taking lessons learning the basic chords. My question is the electric to me is harder to distinguish the chords I am playing. The all sound somewhat similiar. Is the amp poor? Should I just stick to the acoustic and scrap the idea of learning to play the electric? Are the practice amps with just the headphones and battery better than this amp?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

welcome to these wonderful site of GN and its forums...

You are playing an acoustic.Good going.Don't reserve yourself to acoustic only.Play the electric too.Try to play it clean first.Never crank the distortion or overdrive or all the electric features hibachi :lol: that comes associated with an elec and amps..

play it clean.electric and yours is a very good guitar (and on my covet list ) , damn its a fender strat....so like play it..

try to have a teacher give you some lessons too.And morever playing acoustic or electric is more of your musical taste.IF you are into country songs or into artists like simon and garfunkle , even backstreet boys .. acoustic is the real deal.But tell you what , most of the songs today contain both elec as well as acoustic in them.

My opinion - learn them both , there is hardly any difference ,and as far as ease and comfort of play is there , the fender takes the points.Just hide your effects processor for a while...:wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, play it clean and see if you're able to hear better what you're playing.

Welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Unfortunately I don't know this particular amp, though there doesn't seem to be any major complaints in the online reviews. Electrics aren't going to sound quite as 'clean' as an acoustic. However there aree a couple of things to check; make sure you are on the clean channel and the gain is low. Find an electric tuner and make sure the notes from the open strings match the notes at the 12th fret very closely.

If you want to learn electric, go ahead, how soon you do it is a matter of personal choice. Electrics do tend to ring when you don't want them to, so you end up muting more than you would on an acoustic. There also less you of full 'open' chords (containing unfretted strings) and more so called 'power chords'.

You could also go to the guitar store and try a telecaster on a Roland or Fender amp. that's about as clean as you'll get.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote