Newly formed calluses hurting like heck...what the heck's up

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

I have recently formed my first set of calluses after five years of playing- I washed my hands today after a marathon playing session, which lasted most of the day, using a hot tap. My fingers absolutely sting like mad now, so what have I done? (It hurt like heck as I was washing them, and they still do now.) They hadn't hurt before I developed the calluses, so what's up?

Thanks,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's not unusual!! Your callouses are peeling off, that's all! It's perfectly natural!! They may do it a time or two more before they become so deep that they quit peeling! It was probably your marathon that began the peeling, and then, adding water on top of a marathon, loosened them up even more! My advice would be to let them heal for a day or so, then get back to playing to re-build them. Stay away from marathons for a while and you should develop some fairly permanent callouses! Also, don't play immediately after having your hands in water. The callous is softened by the water and then your strings will tear off the tops.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

sometimes i get very bad aching in the tips of my fingers in my fretting hand, so bad i cant push down on the strings, but this isnt after playing for a long time or water related or anything, i cant figure out why. any ideas? (not meaning to hijack your thread shady it just seemed a good time to ask :P )

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

maybe nerve related Cole? I would talk to a doctor about that asap. If it is nerve related, the sooner its fixed the less damage done to the nerves, the sooner it will get better.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

Peripheral Neuropathy comes to mind.

I agree with Taso... Go see a doctor!
sometimes i get very bad aching in the tips of my fingers in my fretting hand, so bad i cant push down on the strings, but this isnt after playing for a long time or water related or anything, i cant figure out why. any ideas? (not meaning to hijack your thread shady it just seemed a good time to ask :P )

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

ReplyQuote