Notifications
Clear all

Nice Electric Guitar For Beginner?

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Both the Cube and Vox are excellent amps. The Vox excells at classic rock and 'clean with an edge' sounds while the cube is best in ultra-clean and tight metal sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So if I'm hearing you all correct, it would be smarter to purchase a guitar and then purchase an amp seperately? If that's the case, which should I go with? The Squiers, Fender, which brand, model..I'm still kind of confused on what guitars are really good for beginners and are reliable, well built, sound good, etc.

Thanks so much for your help

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Squiers affinities & 51s, Yamaha pacifica, basically every Ibanez. Those would all do more then fine to start out with. Just make sure it stays in tune, preferably doesn't have a vibrato bridge or a rocksolid one. Then either the cube or Vox and you're going to be giving an truly excellent set that will last quite some time.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Don't buy on our recommendations, either. Go play a bunch and see what you like best. ;)

I took the son of a friend shopping for his first guitar, and based on his musical preferences I would have thought he'd like double-humbucker Les Paul type models. He ended up falling in love with a used Fender Stratocaster. :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

As slejhamer said above don't buy purely on recommendations. A guitar is a personal thing and very few people will agree on what makes a guitar right for them.

Make a shortlist of those that interest you and go to your local store and try them out. Also let the guy in the shop know what you are after he may be able to show you something you hadn't thought of. When I bought my first axe i walked out with something I hadn't considered before I walked into the shop. I tried it out on the recommendation of the shop guy and fell in love with it. Almost a year down the line and I'm still very happy with it.

Top tip: go to the shop when it's quiet. The sales person will be able to spend more time helping you out without having to dash off every few mins to look after other customers.

Can recommend the microcube as my son has one. Great amp for the money. We also tried the VOX DA5 before he bought it. I was impressed with that one too. Thinking of getting a VOX myself as a travel amp.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info guys. I decided to go to a the local guitar store and he showed me some good guitars for beginners. He showed me a Squier 2 Strat, a Squier Strat, and some sort of Epiphone..all were AROUND 2-300 dollars...I didn't like the neck size on the Squier Strat..it was very think and I didn't like that..I liked the neck on the Squier 2 strat..the Epiphone's neck was too long it seemed..didn't feel right...Are the Squier 2 Strats decent guitars? If I find a squier 2 strat online and buy it..what amp will go good because I'd like SOME distortion..I want the rock sound..not just the clean general sound...

thanks!

(if anyone else has any OTHER recomendations..please let me know!..thanks!)

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Guys..what about a Ibanez GSA60...my friend has this guitar and it seems nice when I hold it and play it...but I don't know much about it...would this be a good buy?

http://www.geartree.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1288076/vpcsid/0/SFV/29865/tcat/25093

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2