Now I know why it is called the F chord HELP

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey there

I just joined the forum and I do not want to be duplicating this question though I find references to it, I am not finding help. I have been playing for five weeks. My teacher ensures me that I am making great progress and told me to stay away from teh F chord because I was getting very frustrated. Does anyone have any advice, so far I am havent had problems learning anything new except this.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it's a really tough chord to play, especially if your guitar action is too high. you can try learning it higher up on the neck until your fingers get stronger.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Yep, JB is right. ANd, welcome to GN the best guitar forum anywhere. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tip !!! I have learned about 12 chords, the pentatonic scale and a blues scale so far and am excited about my poor fingers and calluses hehehe but chord switching is coming slow and that F chord isnt coming along at all. I guess reading comments here I am not doing bad for only playing for five weeks now, but at 28 I feel like an old dog learning new tricks !!!

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

You are progressing well but you need to allow yourself a bit more time when handling barre chords.
Barre chords, especially the F chord requires considerable amount of finger strength and flexibility, which comes in due time.
Also, I would start practicing barre chords farther up the neck ( i started from 7th fret ) and would move down as I got comfortable.

For what it's worth my teacher's advise on handling barre chords.
http://www.maildogmanager.com/page.html?p=0000015Fu8vmrrtTsp1AOBjOcsbNudZTs=

Cheers

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

but at 28 I feel like an old dog learning new tricks !!!

OKAY.. Dont EVER... EVER EVER EVER say that again. :D :lol: Thats the first F chord advice I can give you.

I am much older than that and just started not too long again, and there are much older dogs than me that have just started.. So, your the young pup. :lol:

Secondly, What they said up there. Ya know most everything with the guitar so far has come at a time when I just really didnt think about it. Just did it.

Thirdly, welcome to GN.. Any fan of Keith Urbans.. is a fan of min... errr is a great person.. Sorry, I am not good enough for fans yet.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm guessing you're working on the 4-string F chord, rather than the barre.

Place your ring and middle fingers first, then lay down the index. Everyone's finger length is a bit different, and trying to barre two strings and then add the other fingers often leads beginners to convoluted hand positions and deadened strings.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm guessing you're working on the 4-string F chord, rather than the barre.

Place your ring and middle fingers first, then lay down the index. Everyone's finger length is a bit different, and trying to barre two strings and then add the other fingers often leads beginners to convoluted hand positions and deadened strings.

This makes sense as I started with my index finger and worked up, and lose my two high strings after that, I will try it Backward

and to Geoo Keith is my inspiration !!! I have wanted to play guitar forEVER taught myself piano as a child but KU really made me go after guitar and man how I love it !!!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the F chord still cramps my hand. and Ive played that sucker for forty years.

still , it's an awesome chord. those long vibrations are killer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I started playing guitar at 39.

I much prefer the full barre versions (A or E shape) to the 4 string "open" version although I can play it.

That said, if I need a quick open F, 90% of the time I will use the 3 string version which is 5000% easier:

e|--x---
B|--1---
G|--2---
D|--3---
A|--x---
E|--x---

It has all 3 necessary notes.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I found the bar chord article I'd referred to in another thread:

http://www.douglasniedt.citymax.com/BarChordTechnique.html

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the info, who knew such great sites existed !!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

but at 28 I feel like an old dog learning new tricks !!!

OKAY.. Dont EVER... EVER EVER EVER say that again. :D :lol: Thats the first F chord advice I can give you.

I am much older than that and just started not too long again, and there are much older dogs than me that have just started.. So, your the young pup. :lol:

Secondly, What they said up there. Ya know most everything with the guitar so far has come at a time when I just really didnt think about it. Just did it.

Thirdly, welcome to GN.. Any fan of Keith Urbans.. is a fan of min... errr is a great person.. Sorry, I am not good enough for fans yet.

Geoo

What Geoo said. For real. 8)

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
Old Dog? quite a few of us starting in our 40s and older. 28? your still wet behind the ears.
If you need an F chord but can't quite play it, you can susbstitute an Fmaj7.
XX3210
Usually will sound ok in most songs.

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
Old Dog? quite a few of us starting in our 40s and older. 28? your still wet behind the ears.
If you need an F chord but can't quite play it, you can susbstitute an Fmaj7.
XX3210
Usually will sound ok in most songs.

Ok i dont know what xx321 means I assume xx means dont strum 2lowest strings but what is the 0 if 321 is fingers and what fret is it on

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2