Skip to content
okay, I am going to...

Notifications
Clear all

okay, I am going to start all over again (kind of)!

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello GN members, I have been trying to learn to play guitar for like 1 year or so and I feel like I dont progress, the thing is that I dont really know what to learn and what my longterm goals really are. I Am confused at the moment and even thinking of quiting to play, well not really but I mean, not practicing that much anymore. So I thought that maybe some of you guys can help me out a bit. I am willing to start all over from the beginning again. Just need some advice, thnx! BTW I play both electric and acoustic.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i think you need to figure out what you want to accomplish on the guitar first. then go for it. the "goal" should be defined in as much detail as possible. So what style do you want to play in. do you want to write songs? be in a band? start a band? what kind of band? do you not want to do original songs but learn other peoples songs? what songs? how may of them? do you want to make money from playing? etc...

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

What pearl says is exactly true.

Also...(not to sound like a broken record)...

If you are taking lessons, talk to your teacher about it. It also may be that you need to start looking for a new teacher that you sync better with.

If you are not taking lessons...consider it. Many good teachers begin by setting goals, and helping you with finding a direction.

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yep, Pearl's really hit the nail on the head there. You really do need to ask yourself why you're playing guitar, and where you want to go with it.

I find, in those moments when I'm doubting whether I'll ever be any good, it helps to think of what you've already achieved - make a list of your accomplishments. No matter how trivial, if you've learned it, write it down. Then write down what you could do on guitar on day one.....there'll be a big difference between the first list and the second list. That's progress - it's not always visible, tangible, or quantifiable, but every time you play something you haven't played before, that's progress.

Keep playing - keep practising - learn some easy songs. Most of all, have fun playing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

RHCPfan

OK, I bet I can guess one of your goals.

You would like to be able to play Red Hot Chili Pepper songs. Right???

I thought so. :D

And you know, if that was your only goal (and I'm sure it is not), you could learn a whole lot about guitar from just learning their songs. Really, this is how I learned myself. I didn't care about scales or theory or any of that stuff. I simply wanted to be able to play songs I really liked on the radio. And maybe make up some of my own songs in a similar style.

For right now, pick a couple of their songs and spend time learning them. Get some tab books, they help. Then use your ear. This will get you off to a good start. I promise, if you get 4 or 5 of their songs down, you are gonna be a pretty good player with lots of technique.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the reply's, I think my longterm goals are to be able to play like john frusciante, jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan and creat my own sound and play in a band. Maybe you are right about learning some songs only the problem is with tabs that I dont know if I play it right (for example, fingering, strumming and other technique's).

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Thank you all for the reply's, I think my longterm goals are to be able to play like john frusciante, jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan and creat my own sound and play in a band. Maybe you are right about learning some songs only the problem is with tabs that I dont know if I play it right (for example, fingering, strumming and other technique's).
Tabs...meh. I love tabs, but I hate them too man.

The problem with tabs is you can't really read it and follow it, but you can "view it" and "study it" do you know what I mean?

My advice, if you use tabs is this...learn the tabs, you know. But at the same time. LISTEN to the actual song. This'll help your ear. Lets say you're learning Under the Bridge by RHCP but you can't get this one part of the song to sound right. Well listen to the song, and play along with it...and then you may or may not realize "ahh yea...I see what I'm doing wrong, I see what he's doing when he's strumming"

Trust me, it'll work I hope.

And we all wanna be as good as Jimi, SRV, but man...oh man, you got a long way to go. I do too, I wanna be able to impact music and continue the blues on for the next generation, but man, take one step a time.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Follow all the advice everyone has given you here.

Besides that, relax and take a coffee break occasionally. Don't expect much out of yourself after only one year of guitar playing.

Have fun. If you are not enjoying it, you will hardly progress.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 to what eveyrone has said.

I'll add a couple of things though. You know your goals. Try to determine or find out what the individual skills and knowledge bits you will need to accumulate in order to reach those goals. Make them steps towards your goals. These will be mini goals. Don't know the steps? Well, ask here and people a lot better than myself will jump in and help. That sounds like it should be goal #1?

Oh, and a valuable tool for me at the time was some software called Guitar Pro. With this, you can watch the tabs being played. Helped a lot, although since then I've sort of migrated to standard chord charts. I still go look at things from time to time on it though. http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Have you worked with a teacher?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No, because Its to expensive. but I heard that there is a private teacher here near me but I have to wait untill he starts with lessons again.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Passion. That's the one word I would use. I'd say you need to inject yourself with some passion for learning. Don't walk away fromthe guitar now. You have a good start. I put the guitar down after learning a few basis chords. It took me about 20 years before I picked it back up. Don't let life get in the way of learning and playing. Most of all, having fun with it.

Reason I used the word passion is because when I decided to teach myself, you know, ACTUALLY learn a song or two, I found that I had a ferucious passion for it. I could not get enough. Once I learned the first song completely, I had to have more. It all has to start with you. You need find the hunger inside.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I hope you can find a teacher who suits you and take some lessons. It helps to have a mentor sometimes.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

No, because Its to expensive. but I heard that there is a private teacher here near me but I have to wait untill he starts with lessons again.

If you can't afford once a week lessons all the time perhaps you could take lessons once a month or every other week? Or maybe you could take weekly lessons for a month or two? The folks on this board can help you figure stuff out but having somebody there watching you play can give you much more personalized advice.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@strangedata)
Trusted Member

Oh, and a valuable tool for me at the time was some software called Guitar Pro. With this, you can watch the tabs being played. Helped a lot, although since then I've sort of migrated to standard chord charts. I still go look at things from time to time on it though. http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I'd like to suggest the free TuxGuitar. It's available for Windows, Linux and Mac, and it's compatible with Guitar Pro and Power Tab files: http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/

To quote their feature list:

With TuxGuitar, you will be able to compose music using the following features

* Tablature editor
* Score Viewer
* Multitrack display
* Autoscroll while playing
* Note duration management
* Various effects (bend, slide, vibrato, hammer-on/pull-off)
* Support for triplets (5,6,7,9,10,11,12)
* Repeat open and close
* Time signature management
* Tempo management
* Imports and exports gp3,gp4 and gp5 files

It's helped me a lot.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2