Clear all

PA systems and guitars

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lazerkrust)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everybody, I am new to PA systems and have very limited knowledge of it all. What my question is what order do the the guitar, bass, effects, go into the mixer. Im confused about it all, very confused actually. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Are You Ready?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There are several ways for a guitar to go through a PA.

1) You can simply plug your guitar cord into the 1/4" channel input jack on the mixer.

2) You can run your guitar into an effects pedal, then into the channel input on your mixer.

3) You can put a microphone on your guitar amplifier and then run this into a channel on your mixer.

4) If your amp has a "Line Out" you can go from this into a channel on your mixer.

Probably the most popular way to run guitar into a PA is to "mic" your amplifier. Then you will get the true reproduction of the way your amp sounds. This is more popular than running your guitar straight into a PA, or using the Line Out on your amp.

Here is a great website that will teach you the basics of a PA. It is very simply written so even a newbee can easily understand it. It even has pictures! Go through the simple tutorial. You will know a lot about PA's just from reading that. And it will tell you the many different ways people configure PA systems. There is also a friendly Message Board with very helpful and knowledgeable folks on there.

Scott's PA System Tutorial

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Wes, that's a great tutorial. Thanks for the link.

An increasingly popluar methid of going guitar into PA is with a modeling effects unit like a POD or similar.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote