Clear all

Pentatonic scales

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I would also suggest that you learn at least enough theory to break you out of the "box" mentality. The box patterns are great to learn on, but soon run out of steam in the improvisation department. I only finally got rid of box thinking, after I bought the Rosetta Stone of Guitar. Whilst he teaches patterns, they have a different way of looking at the patterns. It means that, if you can identify a particular note and relate that note to the scale, you can, immediately, start playing, from that point. You are able to play scales both horizontally as well as vertically.

Sounds like a lesson from Joe Cefalu... http://youtube.com/watch?v=K_qw03-3gFg

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I would also suggest that you learn at least enough theory to break you out of the "box" mentality. The box patterns are great to learn on, but soon run out of steam in the improvisation department. I only finally got rid of box thinking, after I bought the Rosetta Stone of Guitar. Whilst he teaches patterns, they have a different way of looking at the patterns. It means that, if you can identify a particular note and relate that note to the scale, you can, immediately, start playing, from that point. You are able to play scales both horizontally as well as vertically.

Sounds like a lesson from Joe Cefalu... http://youtube.com/watch?v=K_qw03-3gFg
The idea is similar, but the RSoG teaches different patterns and also how to move around the fretboard, both horizontally and vertically - there is no such thing as a "box pattern", just small groups of patterns. It's very difficult to explain without giving too much of it away. The problem with the "box patterns" is, that the root notes are just notes, somewhere in the pattern, there is no logic and no easy way to remember where they are. The RSoG is centred around root notes.
As you'll have, probably gathered, I'm a convert.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I started reading the Rosetta Stone of Guitar review, but I will read it further. I think for $40 or so, it would be a worthwhile purchase. Especially considering I want to go it alone, for a while anyway, in learning.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I started reading the Rosetta Stone of Guitar review, but I will read it further. I think for $40 or so, it would be a worthwhile purchase. Especially considering I want to go it alone, for a while anyway, in learning.
There are a few GN members, who have bought the RSoG and they have all had a similar experience. The first thing is a huge "Dang, why didn't I see that before?" The next reaction is "No way, it can't be that easy..........can it?".

30 minutes after you start working with it, you'll realise how restricting the box patterns are.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great! Thanks for the positive feedback.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2