Clear all

Please allow me to introduce myself...

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Now that I've made over 25 posts and the regulars here are asking "Who the he-- is this guy?" I figured it's time to say "Hello".

I'm a 25-year old manufacturing automation engineer from Columbus, Ohio.

I've been playing the guitar for around 13 years. I started with an old Kay electracoustic that was bought for $10.00 at a yard sale. It needed about $30 worth of restoration (a new bridge and strings, that's about all) and a beginner's VHS that showed some chord structures and changes but not much else.

For my 15th birthday, my dad bought me a Washburn G-5V electric, a Kustom 10-watt amp, and a hard case. Thinking nothing of it, I proceeded to put stickers all over the hard case only to find out 5 years later that it was one of the first hard cases ever made specifically for a Fender Stratocaster. How did I discover that? I happened to be in a music store and the manager told me "Hey, can I buy that from you for $20 plus I'll give you a brand new hard case!" Of course, I couldn't pass that up. I wish I did, now.

Anyway, I ripped the Washburn apart once the active pickups quit working. I was going to restore it with new components. I bought some S.D. pickups, a Jackson/Rose bridge. Never got the motivation to rebuild it and gave it all to my neighbor (also a guitar player).

My gear now consists of a B.C. Rich Virgin, Martin D-16 (custom with a cut-away and Trace-Elliot pickup/pre-amp). DOD GS-30 multi-effects processor, Crate G80XL amp, a Crate Vintage Club 50 amp, and a Casio CTK-711EX synth. for backing tracks and drum patterns.

I mentioned I've been playing for 13 years, but after the 2nd or 3rd year, I never really practiced. Sure, I picked up the guitar here and there and played some songs, but no real practice. My drive has recently re-ignited, so I'm here. I don't play any better than an "average" 2-year veteran. Still, I'm working hard to learn.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

welcome aboard

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Thinking nothing of it, I proceeded to put stickers all over the hard case only to find out 5 years later that it was one of the first hard cases ever made specifically for a Fender Stratocaster. How did I discover that? I happened to be in a music store and the manager told me "Hey, can I buy that from you for $20 plus I'll give you a brand new hard case!" Of course, I couldn't pass that up. I wish I did, now.

Oh man, that must really suck... :( Was it one of those original tweed ones from the 50's? They go for alot more than 20 bucks!

Oh yeah... welcome to guitarnoise, AxeSlasher! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Funny story man,

Welcome to the site

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gotmike2002)

I just picked it back up again myself...

funny story about the teenage sticker thing, I inherited my dads Martin at 15 and decided it would be REALLY cool to paint the entire face an american flag. My daddy was so proud...ha ha.....

I started lessons when I was 15, and well...let's just say that a 15 year old girl getting lessons on "fingering" was more than I could stand. It was so embarrasing and I was laughing and laughing while this poor guy was trying to teach me to play. It was horrible. Anyway, now I have started again and I have rented a guitar from the local shop until I pick up my Grandfather's 1960ish Carlo Robelli acoustic (which seems to have not the least bit of history on the internet.) I have just been using all the great internet resources and some tapes, and I am having a lot of fun with it. I usually practice 2 to 4 hours a day which is a heck of a lot better than you would have gotten out of me 15 years ago!

Anyway, good luck with your playing, I suspect I'll be reading plenty more posts from you.

Lauramath

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

a belated welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

you a man of wealth and taste?

pleased to meet you.

Matt :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

you a man of wealth and taste?
Must be since he came to GN didn't he. :lol:

Welcome aboard AxeSlasher

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Welcome... and thanks for sharing your story, I appreciate you mentioning the fact that you've played 13 years but feel like you playing is on par with a two year player, the reason I apreciate this is because I've been playing two years, and taking lessons about 11 mounths and at times I get frustraited, I want to stop taking lessons, maybe find a new teacher, or just try to learn on my own. Your post reminds me I need to practice not just play, so I'll stick with taking lessons although a new teacher may be in my near future. Thanks again and welcome.

ReplyQuote