Notifications
Clear all

Please let someone see this!!! SOS

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@snowman)
Topic starter  

Ok Im 15 years olda and I have procurred a guitar and started to try and learn to play on my own. For two months I have looked for a teacher and have been unsuccesful. I REALLY want to learn and I don't suppose I will give up till I do, but I thought It would be good to ask some proffessionals for some kind of advice.

Please help me!

(@invictious)
Eminent Member

Well I started learning guitar 1 month ago and 1 month till i am 15

I learnt to play by ear, because i have finished ALL grades including diploma of cello and piano

So it was a easy peasy job for me

It really helps to learn music theory

I find myself just practicing new songs, because i got hang of the scales and so on

Watch some videos of people playing guitar

My fav happens to be System of a Down

Just so long that Daron Malakian doesnt get to crazy and starts lying on the floor and spins around (Psycho Big Day Out MV)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Snowman,

You've come to the right place. There are lots of beginners here at GN, and lots of very skilled guitarists who are willing to share their expertise. (I'm of the beginner variety.)

Stick to it! Practice, practice, practice. And keep looking for a teacher--eventually you'll find someone. Have you asked the music teachers at your local high schools/universities if they know of any guitar teachers? If you have a college nearby, you might find a college student who would like a little extra income giving you a lesson a couple of times a month. If you got your guitar at a music shop, maybe they will know of someone, or if you have any music or entertainment-related newspapers, you might find a teacher by scouring the classified ads.

Of course, as a mom, I am compelled to say "Be sure to get your parents' approval before contacting anyone" :)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, first of all, hello and welcome to GN, Snowman and Invictious! The first place I would go is to David Hodge's Beginner lessons. Start learning your chords and chordshapes, practice scales and learn where the notes are on your fretboard and get comfortable with your strumming. Then, once you've got a handle on at least part of that, move on to David's song lessons. His easiest one is "Horse With No Name", a simple 2 chord song that you'll be able to learn in no time! And, if you have the capability, record yourself to see exactly where you're having problems, and to see how much you have actually progressed when you think you're not learning anything at all.

The people on this forum are great and are more than willing to answer any questions you run across as you proceed with your guitar adventure, so don't hesitate to ask! And Good Luck! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi Snowman

First of all welcome to Gn , just echoeing Electrblue .. There are many terrific people here always ready to give advise and help you on your musical journey .

My self am a beginner trying desperately to play unlike you I'm 42 years old but I want to take the same journey as you ,through the musical madness everyone calls playing the guitar .

So have fun ask these wonderful people questions , I know they will help they have helped me so much over the past 14 months or so ...

Hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Why haven't you been able to find a teacher? Have you checked local music stores to see if they offer lessons or can recommend instructors? Community colleges might offer lessons. Sometimes music directors at places of worship might be able to put you in touch with teachers too. (You've probably tried all of this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.)

And welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes i feel i was not the only one in the whole world of absolute beginner guitarists 10 months ago.(i feel much better now as a guitarist...if they call me one..)

And snowman , you have certainly come to the best place for learning guitar.

As i know the plight of an absolute beginner (without a teacher) here are my two golden links for you which will give you enough material for getting started and more. -

Absolute Beginner Part 1

(Absolute beginner's chords article by DH )

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

(Start with the lesson no #1 )

Do the lesson lying in the first link first.

Best of luck and welcome to GN :D ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Snowman, Where do you live? Maybe some locals on the board might be able to help you out.

Also, this site is a great resource for beginners http://scenicnewengland.net/guitar/

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN and i agree that if you really can't find a teacher then you have come to the right place.
just go thru Davids Lessons and you will be doing fine

btw, Welcome to the forums of GN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

this is the sight you have been looking for, all you need is here, welcome aboard, hope you found a home 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@invictious)
Eminent Member

Well if the creators don't mind having their rivals url put here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

Everything is included there

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I guess it would be better to visit 'outta lessons' part of the forum.You will find hordes of free lesson sites for beginners.

Play On !

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It would be better to hit the home page here. Our very own David Hodge has been teaching beginners since time began and his lessons are very easy to follow.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It would be better to hit the home page here. Our very own David Hodge has been teaching beginners since time began and his lessons are very easy to follow.

Best,

A :-)

Well yes and actually i joined the forums after 3 months of reading on GN and about.com.

I wish i could have joined earlier and asked all the absolute beginner's questions. :)

ReplyQuote