Notifications
Clear all

Please suggest cool starter song for newbie to electric

35 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another EASY Song with mostly strumming and with.. uh-hum dare I say can be played with Power Chords is

Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way.

:)

Nice idea, but Joe Walsh did the song (well the slide parts at least....) in open E tuning ( I know because I asked about it on the slide forum....)

Although there are several different guitar parts there.....

Another good electric song for beginners is "Bad Moon Rising" - no distortion needed....and just three chords.....

Paranoid's pretty easy if you can do powerchords.....

Wild Thing is slightly trickier, it uses E, A, B and D - but if you capo it at the second fret, you can use D G A and C instead....

And a good, fairly simple song for acoustic AND electric that about 4/5 people could do is Maggie May - Rod Stewart.... that's in easy songs as well....I was supposed to be playing that at the Newton Music Festival last year, till I hurt my hand - I was using a capo at the 7th fret.....

Just a few suggestions....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Hi Chris,

How about a forum for "Easy leads and riffs for beginners"?

Stuff like "Day Tripper", "Get Back", "Walk,Don't Run", "Wish You Were Here", and other songs with fairly short, familiar riffs and leads!

I think it would be a great way to get your feet wet after playing rhythm and chords, nothing really hard or demanding.

I know the "Easy songs database" covers a lot of this stuff and could be used a resource, maybe have a forum where you can post your attempts and receive suggestions and criticism.

Pick a song a week or month to work on or something like that?
Margaret has something like this in "Online Jams"!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Chris,

How about a forum for "Easy leads and riffs for beginners"?

Stuff like "Day Tripper", "Get Back", "Walk,Don't Run", "Wish You Were Here", and other songs with fairly short, familiar riffs and leads!

I think it would be a great way to get your feet wet after playing rhythm and chords, nothing really hard or demanding.

I know the "Easy songs database" covers a lot of this stuff and could be used a resource, maybe have a forum where you can post your attempts and receive suggestions and criticism.

Not a bad idea, why don't you post that on the "Your Suggestions For Guitarnoise" forum?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Vic,

Consider it done! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

you propose, I'll second....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I don't think it's needed as the Easy Song Database already covers this.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

ESD covers mostly whole songs - chords and strumming patterns....I see your point, but we could actually just post a couple of lines of tab - just a rifff - and someone else could chip in with chords?

Just an idea....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Chris,

That sounds like a great idea. :D I wonder if the "powers that be" at GN would support it?

Most of the elements are here on the site, but they are spread around the forum, in different sections - like Easy Songs, Online Jams, and Hear Here. What's often missing is the combination of it being both an interactive process with a bunch of others, and also being a lesson/study thing rather than a jam. Different focus. It would be great to have a thread for a single song where a bunch of people could learn together, share the questions and generally feel like it was happening more in real time, like a bunch of friends getting together to thrash out how to do something.

It would be really excellent to have a song that could be worked through in a cooperative sort of way. A month sounds good, because many people would struggle to get it together in a week.

My guess is that many beginners take a look at the Easy Songs or Lessons sections here, have a bit of a stab at one, hit something they're not sure about, and just move on.
I don't think it's needed as the Easy Song Database already covers this.

I don't agree. It makes a great resource for people who are good enough, or confident enough to learn on their own, but it's a database not a lesson forum. Perhaps it could be turned into one, but that doesn't seem to be its original purpose. After looking more carefully I found some good posts, with enough info for me - but I'm not a complete beginner and I can already play a fair number of songs.

I still think it would be useful to many new players (and some more experienced ones too) to have an area where we actually "workshopped" songs. The ones already listed in Easy Song would make ideal starting points, but we'd just take the next step with that information and actually do the songs. I'd certainly enjoy it. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Here's a rough description of how I'd see it:

New Forum: "The Workshop"

A place where the focus is specifically on working together as a group to learn a particular song, riff or technique.

Set period of time (week? month?) when it's 'current' (like the weekly songwriting forum here) but of course any thread could live for as long as there was interest in it.

The key thing for any forum is keep it 'alive' and well visited - so maybe topics for Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced each month would keep the posts flowing and interest up? It would also increase the chances of better players nipping across threads and helping the beginners.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Chris,

You hit the nail right on it's pointy little head! The ESB is one of my favorite
topics, but there are a few people who have no idea what a doublestop is or how unison bends are done. Sometimes people need someone looking over their shoulder and saying, no,no, not like that, just like this! Or, wow, show me how to do that!

You're right, all the tools are right here, think of it as a more interactive way to utilize the ESB, I'm not a beginner, but I had other people looking over My Shoulder and correcting me all those years ago. Besides, I think it would be a great confidence booster.

I really like your vision of it!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Sounds like a new Forum: "Beginner Jam".

I would recommend Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution by AC/DC. It's a fairly simple, it's definately sounds great amped, and who doesn't like AC/DC?

Nex - do you have tab for that AC/DC song? It is my favorite tune from them. Thanks.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ridgeskimmer)

Sounds like a new Forum: "Beginner Jam".

Nex - do you have tab for that AC/DC song? It is my favorite tune from them. Thanks.

Hi,
You'll find it here:-

http://www.guitaretab.com/a/ac-dc/160.html

Regards
Mike

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

I love this idea. As someone who is used to playing from sheet music, a page with nothing but words and with chords written over them, frequently in the wrong places, is not very easy to work with. I'd love help with strum patterns, fills, what to do when it simply says "guitar solo here", or when it just has a row of chords and says "intro" and other stuff. Also, I'd really like to see this done both for accoustic, and electric, as I've noticed that what sounds good on one doesn't necessarily work on the other. The easy songs database is a great thing, but I'd like something more like interactive lessons. It would be a good way to work up to feeling ready to participate in the jams, too, I think.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I like Tom Petty stuff, so anything by him that doesn't involve barre chords gets my vote. :)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Chris,

You hit the nail right on it's pointy little head!

Racetruck, I fear you may have been misinformed as to the correct orientation of nails... do you have much trouble getting the big flat bit to pierce the wood? :wink: :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, the workshop sounds like a good idea to me.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Chris,

You hit the nail right on it's pointy little head!

Racetruck, I fear you may have been misinformed as to the correct orientation of nails... do you have much trouble getting the big flat bit to pierce the wood? :wink: :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, the workshop sounds like a good idea to me.

Nah, I use the proper tools, a 20 lb. hammer! My engineering experience and intuition always tells me, "If it isn't working, use a bigger hammer!"

I was also taught to use my head, funny, thats when my headaches started... :shock: :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3