Clear all

Position Playing

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pegasusherd)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself to play guitar and I have a very basic question on playing in first position.

When you place your hands naturally on the neck of the guitar, your fingers do not naturally fall one finger per fret (your fingers are bunched closer together). So, I assume there are two possible techniques:

1) Stretch your fingers out wide so one finger lands within each fret and try to become comfortable playing this way. This way, you won't have to slide your hand up and down to get to the various frets within first position.

2) Don't try to widen out your fingers and just let them fall naturally. However, since your fingers are now too close together to land one finger per fret, you have to slightly slide your hand up and down to even just play in position.

Which method would you recommend to simply play in position?

Thanks!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Pegasusherd

#1 is the correct answer.

When you first begin playing guitar, it is difficult for everyone to make those stretches. In time the webbing (for lack of a better term) between your fingers widens and you will be able to make the stretches.

It is also important to have good form. Keep your thumb behind the neck, not wrapped over the top. The thumb should point up the neck toward the headstock. Here is a photo I've posted many times.

Keep the guitar fairly high (not down at your waist) and angled up (headstock about even with your shoulders). Do not tilt the guitar up toward you to look. If you have to look, bend over and look like this fellow is doing.

You will find with proper form that you will have far more reach. But it's still going to take practice to make those stretches. Just stay at it and it will come in short time.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Keep your thumb behind the neck, not wrapped over the top. The thumb should point up the neck toward the headstock. I agree with that. Funny thing is, when you look at just about ALL the pros, on youtube clips, live, whatever, they all wrap the thumb over the top of the neck. I don't do it, because it was never comfortable for me.

It is interesting though, to watch them play that way.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Ultimately you want to get to option 1 (the big stretch).

It may seem impossible at the moment, but it will come with time and practice.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote