Clear all

Power chord tunings

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you can tune the guitar so that when you strum it with the strings open you get a chord, could you do that for power chords too? Like tune it to CGCGCC for example then play like this:

C|-3---3---4--4--0--1--|
C|-3---3---4--4--0--1--|
G|-3---3---4--4--0--1--|
C|-3---3---4--4--0--1--|
G|-3---3---4--4--0--1--|
C|-3---3---4--4--0--1--|

Would that work? Or would it sound kinda weird? And would it get messy with distortion?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It is doable but I think it would sound kind of weird. Plus you will be going pretty far on some strings and would either have real floppy strings or pop them when tuning. This is just my opinion so I am sure others will give you more technical reasons why it would or wouldn't work.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It would work if you used strings of appropriate gauges, but it wouldn't sound like a normal power chord because you'd go a lot higher than usual. It would probably be cool, but not as hardcore as some of us might wish.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I've done it once with the open D-Tuning.
It sounded fun when jsut noodling around but it wasn't very usefull to play along songs because the big spectrum (even if some strings may be the same note) always sounded a bit "wrong" or overdone
but that's just me... :oops:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Open E5 tuning is kind of common.
I have seen several songs using it including "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
E5 is EBEEBE Tune A string up to B, D string up to E, G string down to E and the other 3 strings stay in standard tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's been done, lots.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

Eb- 6
Eb- 5
Bb- 4
Bb- 3
Eb- 2
Eb- 1

C- 6
G- 5
C- 4
G- 3
G- 2
C- 1

E- 6
A- 5
A- 4
E- 3
A- 2
E- 1

those are some of the tunings i have figured out, all it really takes is two notes that sound good on the piano and then tune the best to get the good sound of your strings. i think the point of these tunings is to basically be able to strum your strings and get an awesome sound without even fretting, these tunings usually sound best with single notes, never tried a sort of power chord with em... never thought of it. one of my favorite bands Dashboard Confessional usings tunings like that all the time. So i think they're a great thing, others may not.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Seems a bit pointless to me to use an open tuning for powerchords when you only use one or two fingers anyway....I could see the point if you were playing slide, and maybe doing a maj/6th/7th shuffle on the bottom 3 strings...

Open G tuning would make powerchords fairly easy though

E....tune down to D
B...leave alone
G...leave alone
D...leave alone
A...tune down to G
E...tune down to D

so playing the bottom 3 strings open would give you a G5 chord (technically an inversion, since you wouldn't be using the root note for the bass)...but this tuning has the added bonus that you can play fills, licks and add-ons on the DG and B strings...Keith Richards does that a lot, ie Brown Sugar is played mostly on those 3 strings....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote