Skip to content
Power chords with m...

Notifications
Clear all

Power chords with my pinkie or two fingers?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I just picked up a ZOOM GFX-8 and it has encouraged me to pick up my elec. guitars that I have for so long ignored in favor of the acoustic - due to the acoustics simplicity. But, I just love the new crunch sound I can get, so I been practicing a little with it.

I had a question about forming powerchords. I see most people using first finger and then the ring and pinky to finish the chord (for a chord like this:

-1-
-3-
-3-
---
---
---

Now, a long time ago when I knew nothing I taught myself to form that chord with just my index finger (using the example) on the first fret and my pinky barring for the two 3s. I could go back and relearn this and break my habit, or should I just keep it? Will my method hurt me later with anything?

Thanks!

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Keep it, but learn to play other ways as well.

Really, if you have the strength to play it this way, it is easily the most comfortable and most mobile form. I prefer to fret a 5 chord with my index and pinky myself. But I usually use my ring and pinky when playing a 3 string power chord.

I would also learn to use the ring for a barre when using a "barre A" form. This frees up the pinky to add a sus 4th or 7th to this chord.

So, nothing wrong at all with what you are doing, but experiment with other fingerings as well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote