Clear all

Strumming Help

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been trying to play Nirvana - Breed but when I played what was on the tab, it didn't sound quite right. I also tried Guitar Pro and it didn't sound quite right there either. I went by playing it by ear and ended up finding that the chords in the tab are right, or close to it anyways. So I'm wondering if he's not using all downstrokes or something. Anyone know the strumming pattern to the first part of this song?

e|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
G|-*-----------------------------*-|-*-------------------------------|
D|-*--4--4--4--4--7-----------2--*-|-*--4--4--4--4--7----------------|
A|----4--4--4--4--7-Bend------2----|----4--4--4--4--7-Bend-----------|
E|----2--2--0--2--5-----------0----|----2--2--0--2--5-----------0----|

(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Don't know the song but try this tab http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/nirvana/breed_tab.htm > maybe it's more correct.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't think that tab is any more correct. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the rhythm or the strumming

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's not played in a different tuning is it?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I don't know that song but often when you see tabs using only the uppermost strings the strumming is all downstrokes, so you are probably right.

Did you try all downstrokes?

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

I haven't played this song in a while, but I think it might be all down strokes. You might want to check out the tabs for "sleep now in the fire" by rage against the machine, its a similar intro.

Also it wasnt unusual for kurt to play out of tune. And the song is heavily distorted, so its harder to figure out the strumming pattern.

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

D-U-D-U-D-D

It's mildly fast, so you have to work out the rhythm. Start off slow and build it up.

I'm in Eb and your tab sounds good to my ears.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

It's not played in a different tuning is it?

This is the right question. 8)

I've been looking through some different tabs for this song, and while some call for standard tuning, several of them are calling for open E tuning (E B E G# B E).

I'd give it a shot with the alternate tuning and see how it sounds.

I tried for a full day to play Pearl Jam's "Daughter," but could never get it to sound right. I finally discovered that it's played in a slightly altered open G tuning (G G D G B D). What a difference THAT made! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have checked a live video and from what I can see he is playing it in standard, or possibly a half step down from standard. It's a bit hard to see the fingering because the song is insanely fast.

Thank you for the strumming pattern though, it was bugging me that I couldn't get it to sound right lol

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

How do you see the tuning on the video? You mean he's not changing guitars etc ?

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can't. But he's fretting exactly like the tab. The tuning, tab and strumming all sound like the song, so I'm assuming it's standard.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thank you for the strumming pattern though, it was bugging me that I couldn't get it to sound right lol

No problem! Glad I could help. :D

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

OK, I'll go along with standard tuning on this one. I just realized that I have the CD. I put it on to get familiar with it again (can't always put Nirvana titles with their actual songs :lol: ) and then gave it a whirl on the electric.

Sounds pretty good with the overdrive cranked up and the tone knobs wound down. 8)

ReplyQuote