Practice or Noodling?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@drpool)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I've been playing for a couple months. I haven't taken any lessons but have used a couple dvd's such as Keithy Wyatt, etc. I've worked a lot on scales, some chords and accuracy drills. Lately I've been looking at some songs that don't look too difficult to take on. My question is this. When you start to work on a new song or riff/run, is it best to play nothing but that until you've got it or break it up and work on a couple different things to keep from getting bored?

Your input is appreciated and valued greatly.

dp

(@mikey)
Reputable Member

A lot of that depends on your personal preference. I'm sure that a lot of people will work on a song and only that song until they get it down.

Personally I like to break it down in parts get it smooth and even and then add another part. It also depends on difficulty of the piece.

You have to work at your comfort level not someone elses. If breaking it down in pieces and folding it into your regular practice routine feels right for you.. then my guess is that it is right for you.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member

I prefer to have a few things to work on at a time or else.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I usually take a few measures and learn them thoroughly. Then I'll add a few more and keep this up until the whole song has been learned. I do this with multiple songs at the same time though. I wonder sometimes if I have ADD because my attention span can be short. :D

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I like to work on a few songs at a time, I try to improve the ones I know, then work on the new stuff adding a little piece at a time until its complete.

I can't imagine playing one song and nothing else until it was right, I guess I learn way too slow, I would go crazy.

When I pratice/play/noodle.... I will usally start with something I know, play some of the stuff I'm learning, and I also like to mix it up as far as fingerstyle for a while then pick up the pick, maybe practice some scales.

Variety is the spice of life...

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

For me no song is ever perfect or finished. So even when I am learning a new song I still spend a few minutes going over songs I already know and making sure I can play them. It is amazing how often when doing this a piece that was difficult suddenly becomes much easier to play - it takes you by surprise as you are not really working on it at the time..

I like to work on one or two main songs and then go over two or three others. (Sometimes I just try to make sure I still know the words - other times I might try a different fill)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

When you're learning the first one, there's only so much you can do; but when you start learning the 20th, you've still got 19 others to keep ticking over.

I'd start with two songs - I started my classical stuff with just one, and it got a bit dull.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote