Prepare to vacation

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner, learn to play an electric guitar for 3 months. I'm going to have a 2-weeks summer vacation and want to spend it far from home. I'll take my guitar with me (although, cannot take combo, so will play quiet :) ) to spent an hour a day practicing. Now I'm trying to prepare and make a list of things to take and exercises to work out. So, some questions arise:

1. What do I need to take with? The guitar, couple of pick-ups, a metronome and a tuner are in my list for now.

As a beginner I don't really play something meaningful. I work on memorizing scales (E-minor in particular) and cord shapes, practice some rhythm techniques (palm muting, etc.), sometimes play randomly around pentatonic. I could take some prints with, but here's the second question appear:

2. What exercises to consider? What materials to print?

Thanks for any advise you can give. Hope I can make use of that free time :)

(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Don't forget an extra set of strings...

Whatever you are practicing now, keep doing it. Print out the Major and Pentatonic scales and keep going through them.

Either print out, or bring a book that has the common open chords, power chords and barre chords.

Also, spend time learning the fretboard and memorizing the notes.

Make sure you bring a few songs to practice too... it can be kind of boring just practicing scales, chords and theory. One of my personal favorites for practice is Hey Joe (Hendrix). There are two parts to practice... the simple strumming pattern and some nice scales.

Also, if you have an MP3 player / Ipod, download the Guitar Noise podcast and go through them, and my favorite one...Guitar Music Theory by Desi Serna. If you are doing scales, you HAVE to listen to this podcast: http://desiserna.com/school.html

One more... if you have a few bucks to spare, pick up a headphone amp. My favorite is the Vox Amplug AC30 (google it). It is about $40.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Und Aspirintabletten!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Huh? Extra pickups??? :? Sounds like you need a vacation!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Huh? Extra pickups??? :? Sounds like you need a vacation!

Ah, thanks for the remark - of course I'll take a couple of "picks". Sorry for my English :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Also, if you have an MP3 player / Ipod, download the Guitar Noise podcast and go through them, and my favorite one...Guitar Music Theory by Desi Serna. If you are doing scales, you HAVE to listen to this podcast: http://desiserna.com/school.html

One more... if you have a few bucks to spare, pick up a headphone amp. My favorite is the Vox Amplug AC30 (google it). It is about $40.

Thanks for both points! I do like listening to podcasts and so I'll give the link a try. And thanks again for pointing to the headphone amp - I didn't even know they exist. It seems that this device is a gem for my purpose.

ReplyQuote