Clear all

Printing lessons

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mikedecker)
Topic starter  

Hi!

I am a beginning guitar player. I started playing last year, but then took a lengthy break, but look forward to playing the guitar again. I quite enjoy this website. Something I would like to do is print many of the lessons because I do not like looking at the computer screen. Also, sometimes there is a the notes with a lengthy explanation, and I just want the notes and not the explanation. Is there a print option available? Are the lessons saved as pdf's?

Peace- Great website!

(@davidhodge)

Hi Mike and welcome to Guitar Noise.

There used to be a "print lesson" button on all the lessons but that disappeared during the last site upgrade and I think Paul's still trying to get it back working!

In the meantime, though, you can drag your mouse across a whole lesson (best to start with the first sentence and not the title) and copy and then paste it to a word processing program, such as Word. That seems to work very well. You get all the music examples and none of the advertisements.

Hope this helps and, again, welcome to Guitar Noise. Looking forward to seeing you on the boards.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

You may have to adjust the font in your program. Just an FYI, sometimes it doesn't line up right. I did the same thing a couple years ago when learning, and I think I used Courier New or something along that lines.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The best way to mark the lesson, including the title, is to position the cursor before the first letter of the title (move the cursor to the left edge of the letter and left-click), scroll down to the end of the the lesson, put the cursor immediately after the last character that you want to copy, press the "Ctrl" key and hold it whilst you left click.
This is, IMHO, the best way to mark any large section of text.

I did notice that, in OpenOffice Writer, I had to left click the images to get them to load.

As for typeface, 10pt Times New Roman seems to be perfectly adequate. You may have to reformat page endings, however. Html doesn't understand physical page sizes, such as letter or A4, so you may have to do a bit of editing to get things how you want them and the US people will get a different result than the Europeans, because they use letter and the Euros use A4.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

if for some reason you want to save as a word doc. when you cut and paste don't forget the cord chart if there is one. even on a sheet that has cords sometimes there are tabs, sometimes those tabs contain necessary information. :oops: :mrgreen:

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Re word to pdf, you can download pdffactory for free and use it to print to pdf.

There are a host of settings using which you can to modify the pdf and actually 'see' the final output exactly in pdf. Very effective for saving html pages in pdf form.

http://www.fineprint.com/products/pdffactory/index.html

P.S. - The free version appends 'PDF created with pdfFactory trial version', but I guess that won't be a big problem.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can convert html to pdf by downloading the firefox add-on from nitro. This allows a direct conversion of a displayed web-page (and a lot more, besides). http://www.pdfdownload.org/

OpenOffice writer has a built-in pdf exporter. Load the page into writer, format to taste and export to pdf. Nothing simpler.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you have a Mac, whenever you print something you have the option of "printing" it to a pdf file. That's sometimes handy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

I do this from work on a dumb terminal when I get the opportunity. Stuck with what I have which is better than nothing.

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote