Clear all

Problem with G chord

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@poonchasta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just got my first guitar (Fender Squier Affinity Strat) less than a week ago, and I've mostly been practicing chords. I can finger most chords and make them ring clearly without much problem, but the G chord is giving me grief. I use the fingering where my index finger is on the 5th string 2nd fret, middle finger on 6th string 3rd fret, and ring finger on 1st string 3rd fret, and my problem is that I have a hard time getting it to ring clearly consistently without my middle finger muffling the 5th string. Can someone offer some helpful advice? Possibly some pictures of fingering in a way that will consistently ring clearly? Please don't recommend using my pinky on the 1st string 3rd fret because that is nearly impossible for me to do.

Thanks for the help!

"Is there something in the guitar case?"
"Yeah."
"What?"
"My guitar."

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

EDIT: David's advice below is better than try different ways of fingering it. Save that for later

Try fingering it middle finger is on the 5th string 2nd fret, ring finger on 6th string 3rd fret, and pinkie on 1st string 3rd fret. For that matter you can just try replacing your ring finger with your pinkie and see how that works. It will be handy in the long run to know a variety of fingerings for chord changes.

Welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Don't have any pictures to post (I'm sure someone will, though ! :wink: ) but I can tell you two things that may hopefully help.

First - don't let your thumb drag your fingers down. If you're trying to grip the neck with your thumb (a common mistake with beginners) it will keep you from getting a good arch on your finger tips.

Second - take things one at a time. First, set your middle finger on the third fret of the low E and strum for a bit. Make sure you're not pulling on the string. Another common beginner problem is pulling on the G note with the middle finger and actually getting something in between G and G# which, as you might suspect, makes the chord sound bad. Be sure you're up on the tip of your finger and that it is arched pretty high.

Then add your index finger to the mix and continue strumming. Again, make certain that both the notes are sounding clean. You can actually strum all the strings now and it will sound pretty good. And again keep both fingers arched as high as you can and still be comfortable.

Finally add the ring finger to the high E string, being very careful not to upset the balance you've achieved with the other two fingers. You don't need a lot of pressure, just enough to fret the notes.

Have patience. This chord gives everyone difficulties to one extent of the other. You'll be playing it a lot so better to take the time to get comfortable with it now instead of constantly trying to come up with another way to play it.

Looking forward to hearing how things are going with you.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@poonchasta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the great advice, guys. Once I can play the G chord well consistently, I'll start practicing switching between chords.

"Is there something in the guitar case?"
"Yeah."
"What?"
"My guitar."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Once you get the G chord down, do try using your pinkie....it's so much easier to change to G7 (a very common change in Country and Blues) and also leaves your first finger free for chords such as Gsus4 and a quicker change to C....

Don't worry about it yet, just concentrate on the G chord...although I wish someone had shown me the 2-3-4 fingering when I was starting out....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

For what it's worth, a lot of players make the G chord a two-fingered affair. They slightly flatten out whichever finger is fretting the low E string, effectively muting the A string. Then they use whatever finger is comfortable for the high E string. It's still a full G chord because B note is still present, courtesy of the open B string.

If you want to make a "big G powerchord" (just G and D notes), use the "mute the A string method and fret both the high E and B strings at the third fret. It's kind of cool because it makes you realize that power chords show up in country music all the time!

:wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I like the big fat G chord you get when you use your pinky on the 1st string 3rd fret, ring finger on the 2nd string 3rd fret, index finger on the 5th string 2nd fret and the middle finger on the 6th string 3rd fret. Sometimes I have to stop and think not to use it - especially when I'm working with students.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

check out david's article on absolute beginner chords.Its the best article on the whole web for an beginner.

ReplyQuote
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member

Yeah I had the same problem as you with the G chord. I put my fingers in the same places. I just kept at practicing it, and finally I can do it without looking at it rings clear. Keep at it you'll get it soon ;D

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Please don't recommend using my pinky on the 1st string 3rd fret because that is nearly impossible for me to do.

It's seems nearly impossible to just about every beginner. I really struggled with it, but now it is effortless. It will serve you well if you learn to use your pinkie.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote