Clear all

Question about playing technique.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 em0
(@em0)
Topic starter  

I'm currently playing through a 10 watt practice amp. I was wondering how you create the chug sound? I just try playing with heavy palm muting. I'm not sure if my technique is totally wrong or my amp just sucks. I plan on upgrading to a better/bigger amp. Do you need a high gain sound to produce the chugging?

(@alangreen)

Hiya,

Racking up the gain will help, but ease off on the palm muting - the strings have got to sound for a moment and if you damp them too quickly all you'll get is a sound like thuk-thuk-thuk

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 em0
(@em0)
Topic starter  

Wow, great advice. It worked! I just tried letting the chord ring for a second, then damp right after that, all in the same motion.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Right on! My 2 cents would be to get as close to the bridge as possible, a friend of mine kept on trying to get the "chug" sound way up by the neck pup, with very little success, the break through came when he started resting the meat of his hand back on top of the bridge, and just barely letting it roll onto the strings.

It's the same thing I do, I had just never really thought about it and broken it down.

Congrats on your success and good luck in the future!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote