Clear all

Question for Acoustic Only Players

29 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've just taken up the acoustic guitar at age 48.
All my life I've worshipped the electric guitar gods like Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Blackmore, etc.
However, when I decided to take up the guitar, I went for an acoustic, a Martin D-1.
Something about the simplicity and elegance of an acoustic really speaks to me. It's amazing how wonderful a simple piece of wood can sound when its made properly. In many other things, I'm also a purist, often opting for the absolute simplest version of what I'm interested in.
I guess another reason I love the acoustic is that there are much fewer things to go wrong with it. I'm kind of a worry wort and the fewer things that can go wrong, the better.
So, I'm wondering what makes you other "Acoustic Only" players choose just the acoustic guitar.
Lenny

PS: Isn't she beautiful?

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I love the acoustic is that there are much fewer things to go wrong with it.

I would argue with you there; just a different group of things to go wrong, and while there may be fewer of them, they tend to be harder to fix.

I'd also say that there's no reason to limit yourself in terms of playing electric or acoustic. Once you know how to play one, it's an incredibly easy transition to the other, and they're both rewarding in their own ways.

I don't object to preferring one over the other, that's your call, but excluding one because you think it will be harder to fix is a terrible reason to miss out on a lot of fun and excitement. Just make sure you're being exclusionary for the right reasons.

Beautiful guitar, by the way, great to see that you're enjoying it so much!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

So, I'm wondering what makes you other "Acoustic Only" players choose just the acoustic guitar.

1. If the power goes out, I can still play.
2. I started at age 42, and most of the songs I wanted to learn were by folk artists I remembered. I had this idea that they were all playing accoustic. In all likelihood, any of them are equally comfortable with accoustic / electric, but still.
3. The reasons I wanted to learn guitar were a) learn to play for myself. b) be able to play for small informal gatherings ( family, campfires, get-togethers, beach parties) So it just seemed that things without plugs would be better.
4. I dunno, just like the accoustic more.

And yes, your Martin is quite gorgeous.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I would argue with you there; just a different group of things to go wrong, and while there may be fewer of them, they tend to be harder to fix.

Yeah, now that you mention it Undercat, I do believe you're right.
Oh well, I would like to mess around some day on an electric, and I really have nothing against them. I guess the main thing I love about the acoustic, beside it's simple beauty, is that it really is a stand alone instrument.
No plugs, no amps, etc.
Equally at home inside and out.
Gotta say though, that electrics are fascinating in a whole nother way.
The paint jobs on some of them are absolutely amazing.
I've just discovered Paul Reed Smith guitars.
Man, are they ever beautiful, and expensive.
Lenny

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

For me its just the simplicity of picking it up and playing... but what do i know? im getting an electric next week! 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It just seems...I dunno....pure.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Gotta say though, that electrics are fascinating in a whole nother way.

Well said.

I'll say, from my perspective, strumming the acoustic at home in my family room, there's some magic there, but grabbing the LP and rocking out on stage... that's also very magical.

I'm an equal opportunity magician.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Ive always prefered the acoustic. I have played an electric at friends houses an I just strongly prefer the sound of an acoustic. When I listen to great guitar music by artists that switch between electric and acoustic, I always prefer the acoustic songs and versions.
To my ears, acoustics can be more elegant and lively. I also find sitting on the couch playing with friends feels more inviting with the acoustic.

But the bottom line for me is that I just have more fun playing one.

PS She is beautiful and what a wonderful instrument to be starting out on!

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I have both and play both, but I do prefer my acoustic and play it a lot more. I like playing my acoustic for all the reasons mentioned above, but mostly it's richness. It's just a fuller and richer sound.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm not acoustic only, although I did start there, and I probably play acoustic 40-50% of the time, with electric 30-40% and classical 10-20%. So that's 50-70% uplugged.

They're all different. Acoustic is definately more portable - one thing to carry, you're good to go. Playing electric I need both hands to carry stuff, and often two trips :)

You can still play when the power goes out. You never have to worry about how much batter life is left in the stompbox. The neighbors don't call the police quite so often. Changing strings takes less time. And since I started as a percussionist before learning guitar, there's more stuff 'happening' with an acoustic.... play rhythm on electric, and I'm sometimes doing just two (or even one) strum per measure. On acoustic, I'm constantly moving, and I can incorporate things like tapping on the body... it really pleases the hyperkinetic side of me. There's also a sense of 'connectedness' to the sound you're producing. It comes from your fingers, no processing before the ears.

Electric... well, there's something about the sound of saturated tubes that scratches a different itch. And classical... late at night, when everybody's asleep and I want to unwind, just two or three notes and you settle into a really mellow place. Lately I've been doing Massenet's Elegy. It's seductive in a way the others aren't.

So I guess I'm musically promiscuous...but I still love the acoustics I have, and crave more :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I play acoustic for all the reasons mentioned above. That and I just dont have the money for an electric right now :oops:

I just love knowing that you get instant feedback, what you're doing is you. And I have an extremely percussive style. That'll have to be toned down before I can play electric.

As for the purity, this is only a concept and I dont know if it'll ever be fulfilled, but I want to start an ALL acoustic band and do coffee houses and small (I mean SMALL) shows. Acoustic guitars and bass and bongos.

Plus, girls melt to the sound of ANY fingerpicked song :D

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Plus, girls melt to the sound of ANY fingerpicked song :D

I can't believe you just said that. That's what I have been trying to tell my friends for the last two weeks :P

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I'm accoustic right now, though not completely by choice. I'm just too poor to add electric that I want right now. They're different animals, as others have pointed out.

Aside from the often re-hashed technical/educational reasons for starting out on accoustic, the "less things to break" and "less things to buy" factors played a role. Accoustic can break too, but I feel it's less prone to Murphy's Law because, mechanically, its less complex. Yeah, stuff goes wrong and is often more expensive, but it's also a rarer occourence. And I don't have to really worry about amps and such, either. Bonus points.

And accoustic is something that can definately be more intimate. There is more of a direct connection to the music. Good stuff.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

While I enjoy listening to a wide range of musical styles I love to and mostly play Oldtime Mountain music. If I showed up with an electric I'd be hung lol.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Changing strings takes less time

How do you figure, Tom?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2