Notifications
Clear all

Question for Acoustic Only Players

29 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Because the electrics I have either thread through the back (Strat) or they're hollowbodies without a fixed bridge. So it takes me a couple minutes longer to mark the bridge/saddle position, or to take the back plate off - for some reason Fender doesn't seem too exact about positioning that part for easy string changes.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

It just seems...I dunno....pure.

Well said... i agree. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

Sorry I couldn't resist

"You're calling me a loser for playing D&D? I'll have you know that when I retired my dwarf paladin, he was level 40 and had successfully completed over 70 modules! Now who's the loser?!" - Get FuzzyBack to top

lol

who da man?

your dwarf paladin's the man

who da man?

your dwarf paladin's the man

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Funny reading this thread. I myself started at age 46 (10 months ago). I started with an old acoustic I'd had in my attic. the first thing I bought since picking it up was an electric- an Epi LP, and I was thinking all along I'd like playing the electric better. Since then I bought a decent acoustic- a Dean Key Largo to be exact- and now I find myself playing it almost exclusively!

One thing is I joined the guitar group at church and that is all acoustic (except the bass). BTW, two of the guys have Martins like yours- nice instrument!

So why do I find myself always reaching for my Dean? I dunno- one, it's simple. I can just grab it and carry it into the family room and strum it while the TV's on and not have to be concerned about plugging stuff in. I like the sound. And all of the things that I see myself doing with my guitar over the near term would all involve the acoustic- the guitar choir, playing at parties, and playing together in a duet with a friend of mine- it'll all be acoustic. And I just love the sound of my Dean- the other guys in the guitar group complimented me on it.

It's funny- I'm just surprised at where I am with this considering my expectations six months ago.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@grego)
Eminent Member

Its easily mobile,
the sound is what I prefer, and I love the fingerstyle folk world.

I travel some for my job and my S6folk makes as many trips as I can get her on.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Sorry I couldn't resist

Ultimate nerd move there. As a nerd myself, that strip really spoke to me: it recalls many times sitting around with my nerded out 13 year old friends.

I was an M:TG nerd, we would never intermingle with D&D nerds... they were losers! :roll:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

Sorry I couldn't resist

I was an M:TG nerd, we would never intermingle with D&D nerds... they were losers! :roll:

Pot calling the kettle black do you not think?

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Apparently I'm incapable of implying enough sarcasm with smilies... um... how bout this?

:lol: :roll: :roll: :shock: :x :roll: :roll:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Don't forget to properly humidify that Martin or you'll wind up with crack problems as well as a lifting bridge and other problems. I got my second crack in the face of my Guild. So this year, I just started to use a humidifier. I brought the Planet Waves one and it seems to be working fine. The crack closed. I'm surprised that such a simple device works so easily.

ReplyQuote
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Don't forget to properly humidify that Martin or you'll wind up with crack problems as well as a lifting bridge and other problems. I got my second crack in the face of my Guild. So this year, I just started to use a humidifier. I brought the Planet Waves one and it seems to be working fine. The crack closed. I'm surprised that such a simple device works so easily.

The first thing I bought after the Martin was the Planet Waves humidifier.
I stick it between the strings every time I put it in the case.
Either the guitar is in my hands, being played, or in the case.
I very rarely leave it sit in the stand.
I wonder if I'll need the humidifier during the summer?
Guess it can't hurt.
Lenny

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Don't forget to properly humidify that Martin or you'll wind up with crack problems as well as a lifting bridge and other problems.

Is this problem particular to Martins or is it an issue for any acoustic? I never considered it. Although mine's not a martin I'd certainly like to take precautions if that's prudent.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

Apparently I'm incapable of implying enough sarcasm with smilies... um... how bout this?

i took it as a joke, my lack of smilie literacy misrepresented me

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Is this problem particular to Martins or is it an issue for any acoustic? I never considered it. Although mine's not a martin I'd certainly like to take precautions if that's prudent.
I never considered it a problem until I recieved to crack from the bridge to the tail big enough to stick a credit card through it. It happened again this year about three inches away.
It's a problem for all guitars, but especially accoustics.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

actually it can hurt. Your best course of action is to get a hygrometer from Radio Shack, (it's only 8 minutes from your door), figure out the humidity and don't humidify unless you need to.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2