Notifications
Clear all

quick question on A SHAPE BARRE

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

i noticed on a u tube lesson on barre chords, two different guys had different ways to do the A shape barre chord one says you mute both E strings 1st & 6th the other says just mute the 6th which is right ?

The original post. Unedited.

Yes, I understand the original question, which was well answered. But, where does A# come from? Who mentioned that?

Aha!!! - Have you just misread the words A SHAPE as A SHARP?

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

EDIT: Fretsource, you beat me to it by seconds! :lol:

Fretsource, I believe that noteboat read "A shape barre chord" as "A sharp barre chord" and thats where it came from.

Back to the question - you can mute either of the high e and low E strings, it doesnt matter unkless you actually want that high note to sound out.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

LOL sure enough :oops:

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

:lol: For a moment there; my faith in the music theory gods was seriously shaken. I was reading NoteBoat's replies and ripping my hair out trying to understand. Felt like I was falling further down the rabbit hole. LOL.

Matt

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

This mistake is a good laugh... and I'm sure a lot of people learned something extra here, that music theory is crazy confusing and if you try to learn it all you'll forget how to read or something (well, and learned the bit about A#... yeah, I'm the type that just wiggles his fingers around to make different noises... but I'm slowly picking up the theory).

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

As a guitar teacher, I try to make musicians out of my students - .

G thank god for that i was begining to think id never be a musician :) lol

ReplyQuote
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

Don't feel too bad Noteboat. I was all the way to the end of the first page before I realized I had made the same mistake as you. It's kinda scary, but I understood your first reply perfectly and didn't get lost until the others caught "our" mistake. LOL :)
:oops:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Back to the question - you can mute either of the high e and low E strings, it doesnt matter unkless you actually want that high note to sound out.

Right, but if you put a note other than the root in the bass of the chord (an inversion) you get a different "feel" to the chord. It might not sound as good (then again it might). From what I understand (as somewhat more than a newbie but probably with just enough knowledge to be dangerous) that if the song is intended to have an inversion it's notated with a slash chord. For example, the A shape barre chord on the fifth fret is a D chord and if it was intended to be played with the 6th string it would be notated as D/A. Of course, as we interpret the song we are free to use inversions or do chord substitutions but there is no guarantee that they will sound good / "right".

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2