(@bish)
Famed Member

OK fine, so it's fixed now.... :x :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member

Hey sorry to intrude, I had a question about reading notes/tabs aswell, I hope you dont mind me just quickly asking in here, ( I didnt really want to start a new thread ) ..

I just wanted to ask what this meant exactly in this score? I dont know what the "3"'s in the tab means ??

can anyone just quickly go over it with me? thanks sorry again to intrude in here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

The three indicates a triplet. That is, three sixteenth notes bracketed together with a 3 last for .5 beats instead of .75 beats. It shortens the note value.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

The three indicates a triplet. That is, three sixteenth notes bracketed together with a 3 last for .5 beats instead of .75 beats. It shortens the note value.

A more general way to put it (and applicable to ALL triplets) is that the three note durations affected by the triplet are to be played in the time that two would normally take.

ReplyQuote
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sixteenth notes :shock:

///

Is that a question or a statement?

Sixteenth notes are half the duration of eighth notes.

Try this exercise I use with kids to help you get it:

1) Tap your foot steadily. Make sure the tapping is even and uniform. Your foot is your metronome.

2) Each time you tap your foot to the floor, say "cat." You are now speaking in quarter notes.

3) Now each time you tap your foot, say "rabbit." Be sure to evenly spread out the syllables. You are now speaking in eighth notes.

4) Now try "alligator." You will be speaking in sixteenth notes.

5) Finally try "elephant." This is tricky, because a lot of beginners will not spread the syllables out evenly. Instead they will say "elephant" quickly, at the same speed they said "alligator," leaving a brief but noticable pause when speaking. You want "elephant" to be evenly spaced when you tap your foot. You are then speaking in triplets.

This may seem very childish, but it is a great tool to use when helping people distinguish the differences between eighth notes, sixteenth notes and triplets.

Hope it helps.

And, no, I don't know any eight syllable words in order to demonstrate thirty-second notes... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

And, no, I don't know any eight syllable words in order to demonstrate thirty-second notes... :wink:
Hemidemisemiquaver.

Which ironically means 64th note. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member

Is that a question or a statement?

lol, yeah it was more of a statement. (having just been playing for a little over 5 months) I havnt even touched 16th notes, I already cant get the hang of 8th notes as it is.

but hold on. Your tutorial looks promising. and I'm glad you brought it to the table. Looks fun too' I'll get that Hemidemisemiquaver in no time :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

ReplyQuote
(@harleyy)

Hi clau20...Heres a suggestion for learning the single notes on the neck ..you can memeorise them like a phone number F=1-8-3-10-6-1 starting at the low E 6th string...5th string F will be at 8th fret,and so on

As far as playing and E chord at the open position or at the fith fret ,it now becomes and A chord of some type depending on your fingering....also you will now need to change your fingering as your #1 finger will need to become the Nut(capo)in order to bar this chord...with that said I would suggest you play at the spot that sounds the best(melotically)and is in a nice position to reach the other chords of your song.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2