Notifications
Clear all

Recording question from newbie.

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@roz1281)
Topic starter  

Miccing an amp is complex. With a cheap integrated soundcard, a relatively cheap amp, one relatively cheap microphone and no experienced audio technician around the results will be poor. Very poor.

My audio board is integrated but not cheap like a generic PC. I built this pc myself and chose this route to save pci-slots. It's an nforce2 motherboard and generally a quality audio board. How good for recording guitar, i have no idea. :) I was only interested in PC gaming when i built this or I probably would've gotten something better all round.

I do have access to high quality amps and cabs / half stacks whatever if I need it, i'd just have to bring my pc over some people's houses :p

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Thats why you make an excuse to buy a laptop.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@roz1281)
Topic starter  

lol. Yea if i could even come close to having a few hundred spare dollars I'd pick up a lappy.

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member

I just did this last night.

I ran a line from the HEADPHONE jack on my amp to the LINE IN on my soundcard. Opened up my sound editor (I used Adobe Audition, but you can use anything) and recorded. There is alot of AMP Modeling software ou there as well that works through this type of setup.

That's it. PM if you need help.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I read in a magazine about recording electric guitars and microphone placement that I though was intresting. If you put the mic right in front the speaker you would get the most treble and clarity. The more to the sides of the speakers the mic was placed the more bassy and dark the sound becomes. You also get more sound from the room if you put the mic far from the speaker.

I didn't know you could record using the headphone jack. Thank you for the tip JCJXXL, I'll look into that. The problem is I hate the tone I get when I'm using headphones. I guess I can look into those software programs too.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Roz1281
It should be possible to connect the headphone outlet on the guitar amp to line in port on the PC soundcard with fairly good recording result. But you need to adjust the output level of the amp to a level that don´t overdrive line in port of the PC Soundcard. If the the headphone out level is to high, you can buy a cheap earphone extension cable with integrated level adjustment potentiometers.
I did my first recordings with that type of cable between amp and soundcard.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@roz1281)
Topic starter  

Whoah thanks for the microphone-->line in tip. Seems like it'd be obvious but I never thought of that!

I'll have to try that and let you guys know how it sounds. Sorry it took so long to reply I've been busy.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I've also done the headphone->line-in with Audacity worked fine..with a downloadable addon you can convert to mp3 very easy.

give that a try it might work for ya.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2