Clear all

Restringing HELP!!

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@stacyg)
Topic starter  

Hi!!
I recently decided to take up the guitar and my gran gave me a really old guitar that my uncle used to play on!
However, unfortunately I have broke one of the strings and now face the task of restringing it!
At first I thought that the guitar was an acoustic and so bought some steel strings of a website which arrived this morning. When I was searching through google to find how to restring it I came across a problem, my guitar doesn't have bridge pins!!!
Therefore I thought it might then be a classical guitar but the strings that are on it are not tied so to speak around the bridge!!
I am a little confused as how to restring it now! Will I need to buy new nylon strings? Could you help?
I realise that this might be confusing so I've attached some pictures of the guitar!
Please get back to me ASAP!!
Thanks

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

using a steel string with a ball end, feed the string through the tail piece over the bridge and up to the tuner. simple.

now, if yor guitar is indeed a classical guitaqr that requires nylon strings, then then string is loop through the tailpiece.
not that hard. you'll get it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm not sure but the guitar seems classic one and with nylon strings. If so, you must not use steel strings, you can broke the neck. Follow the Dogbite's advices.

A couple of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98tEv7xtgkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJUeqN_5_Ks

There are a lot of them, try to find a guitar with a bridge similar to yours.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

It looks like you'll be OK with steel strings. Take the end of the string that DOESNT have the 'ball' on it, and feed it through the (correct) hole in the bridge, TOWARDS the head of the guitar. Leaving a little slack, wrap the string around the (correct) tuning peg, then feed the string through the hole in the headstock. Turn the tuning peg to tighten and tune the string.

Note; it is VERY important that you wrap the string around the tuning peg the correct way. Look at how the other strings are currently done - the string goes OVER the peg and around the back of it; NOT under it!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

It looks to me like its a steel stringer but just to be sure you should be able to tell by examining the non-wound strings, if they're bright silver then they're probably steel, if they're black or clearish then they could be nylon. Also nylon strings will be much thicker than steel. As a bit of info, all wound strings are covered with metal so they may appear to be steel even if they're not.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

On a nylon string guitar aren't some of the non-wound strings thicker than the wound ones? I've only played with one guitar that had nylon strings and that seemed to be the case (maybe just the G string was bigger than the D string).

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

On a nylon string guitar aren't some of the non-wound strings thicker than the wound ones?

I have a classical (nylon string) guitar, and the 3 nylon strings (GBe) are quite a bit thicker than the steel-wound strings (EAD). So it looks like that can be the case!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Good to know I can be right now and then about something, I guess the next question is, is this the case often enough that people can use it as a guide to determining what kind of guitar strings they need (assuming that strings are on the instrument when they get it... I know I looked up how to tell if a guitar was steel string or classical and there were differences in headstocks etc but nothing ever mentioned the thickness of the strings... and non-wound nylon strings that I've seen seemed pretty obviously different than steel strings so it'd seem like a giveaway most the time).

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Old steel string guitar!

The size of the tuner rollers clues you in to it being a steel string, (the rollers are the part of the tuners that the string threads into.) small rollers are for steel and thicker ones are for nylon.

Use ball end strings that will catch in the tailpiece, also, do the strings one at a time so that the bridge (that piece of wood with the piece of plastic on top up from the tailpiece) doesn't shift. If it does, then measure from the zero fret to the twelfth fret and place it the same distance from the twelfth fret towards the tailpiece. This is a good rough placement.

By the way, the zero fret is the fret that is really close to the nut at the top of neck.

Cool old guitar by the way!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@stacyg)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your help!

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I would have sworn that was a nylon string guitar! Luckily some people know what they are talking about!

BJ

ReplyQuote