Notifications
Clear all

Restringing

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@petesdad)
Topic starter  

This has probably come up before, but I'm new to this site and may have missed it. I know that whenever possible you should change all the strings at one go, but is it better to change them indivdually i.e. Remove one, put on a new string, tune it up to pitch, then start on the next string. Or should you remove all the strings first before starting to put the new ones on. This way makes sense as people have told me it gives you a chance to clean the fretboard, but I'm sure I read somewhere that removing all the srings at once could give you problems with the neck. Any comments?

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You can do it either way. Though, if you're really worried about maintaining neck tension take off three at a time.

And personally, I don't tune to pitch till they're all on the guitar. Once they are I just sit down, get the tuner and go at it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@petesdad)
Topic starter  

That seems clear enough. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I usually take them all off at once, to clean the fretboard, etc.. It won't harm the neck in any way.

Whe I restring, I aleways put the low E on first. If you have a trem unit, the lack of strings has allowed it to settle back. The new strings have to pull the whole thing back to it's working position, so putting the high E first might tempt you to put too much stress on the string and snap it.

Put all the strings on, but don't go anywhere near pitch until they're all there.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi,

I always rip off the whole set, clean my guitar and then restring it.

However, AFAIK, if you have a Floyd Rose system, you can't do it that way and get it back in tune again.

Someone help me out here

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

If you have a version of an LP, the stop bar tail piece will come off if you remove all the strings. Just pay attention to it so you can put it back on right. Also the bridge will not have any tension on it and will raise or lower very easily if you bump it.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

With my Dean I remove them all at once to clean it up. With my Ibanez (which has the Floyd-like bridge) that doesn't work well. It *is* possible, but a huge pain in the rear to get it back in tune. By restringing one at a time, and getting it back in tune after every string change, works much faster there.

ReplyQuote