Clear all

Riff & Fill-ins

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When ever I try to play easy riff-songs like "johnny b. goode", "memphis tennessee", "see you later alligator" or "rock around the clock" my riffs sounds like crap. When I play them I try to only hit two strings a time with my pick, but it doesn't sound right. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know any online lessons? I got two guitar books, but neither of them manages to teach me this, and I really want to learn.. :P

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

1) Make sure youre strings are in tune (if your talking about power chords a slightly mistuned string can really throw it off)
2) Make sure youre tabs for the songs are accurate. Don't trust anyone too much on the net - not even me... :twisted:
3) Make sure you're fingering them correctly - though I assume that you are since you wrote here
4) Make sure your matching the artists technique - slides, pull-offs, etc.
5) The original artist was probably using a different model guitar and amp than you are, and that affects sound
6) On the studio recording there are basses, drums, vocals, etc. and if you think your sound is "empty" its because you just have a guitar
7) If the lessons at GN don't help, consider a teacher
8) Hang in there! Keep practicing and you'll get it eventually.

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote