Clear all

screwed for lessons?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I'm Jeremy I'm 19 and started playing guitar a year ago. I want to take lessons, but theres some troubles stopping me from doing so. I'm left handed, but I play a normal right handed guitar, but upside down, like hendrix. I'm not finding it hard to play the way I am, and I don't really have any intentions of playing proper left handed guitar at this point, but I would like to get some guidance in my guitar playing and lessons, has any 1 ever heard of getting lessons when you're in my situation?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

it should be simple, but this might help: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=371

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

"2. Don't try and learn to play on a right-handed guitar, as some chords will be impossible (G springs to mind). Also, if you ever decide to jump to a left-handed guitar later on, you'll be forced to start from scratch. "

well that sucks =(

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I wouldn't worry about the rules in that article. I think its a great article for people starting and not knowing what to choose, but you've already been playing a bit. Hendrix sure didn't follow any rules and I say he played more than just fine.

Look at Albert King and Doyle Bramhall II....they both play upside down with the treble strings on top. As long as you have good technique...and its not hindering you, I think it will help you develop your own cool style. Start doing crazy bends and such!

If you are too far down the road to switch to a lefty guitar, then this is just a hump that you will have to get through, I think with enough practice human beings can pretty much get good at anything. If it feels uncomfortable now, I bet with enough practice it will feel just fine. I'm a lefty playing right handed, and that presents some wierd challenges as well. Also, if you have the bucks it would never hurt to get some good lessons, just find a good teacher that understands and listens to your problems.

I read somewhere that really good soccer players learn to use both feet equally well and it takes years and years of intense practice to get them both on the same level. It can be done, so start practicing :)

Best of luck,

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I am a lefty and I play lefty but just like with most lefties...some things I do righty and some lefty and some things are forced righty....like using a circular saw.

I picked up a guitar and the way it felt decided for me whether I would play lefty, righty or lefty as an upside down lefty.

My Dad did bring me home a guitar one day when I was a kid, he bought it from a kid down the block for cheap and I guess was hoping I would just pick it up and play righty but I had a tendency to play it lefty but it was upside down and that was too weird for me.

So whatever feels most comfortable for you....you will be the best at.

Teacher......I don't think my teacher would mind much if I was playing an upside down righty if I picked up patterns with no more difficulty than the usual. He just watches my technique when I am learning something new and most of what he teaches me I just read off his notes, which are written for righties. I don't look at anything written for lefties or I would have to switch back and forth in my head. Everything in text, pictures I use righty material because most of it is like that, makes things easier for me to do it one way.

I do think I would have difficulty learning an upside down righty and having to reverse patterns upside down for the times when we are not learning directly from pen and paper but that is me.

I think it is better to learn from a righty as a lefty because when you are sometimes playing something together, you are looking at another guitar like it is a mirror image of your own. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hey I'm Jeremy I'm 19 and started playing guitar a year ago. I want to take lessons, but theres some troubles stopping me from doing so. I'm left handed, but I play a normal right handed guitar, but upside down, like hendrix. I'm not finding it hard to play the way I am, and I don't really have any intentions of playing proper left handed guitar at this point, but I would like to get some guidance in my guitar playing and lessons, has any 1 ever heard of getting lessons when you're in my situation?

There should be no problem. Eventually you'll want to get a left-handed guitar just so the scratchplate's in the right place and the grooves in the nut and he bridge are the right way round.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I had a roomate that was lefthanded and played a right handed guitar upside down. He would just string it as if it were a left handed guitar. When he made the switch to an actual left handed guitar he didn't like it. Now he is planning to go back to a right handed guitar upside down.

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice all.

ReplyQuote