[Sticky] --> Share things you've learned about guitar

386 Posts
204 Users
0 Likes
215 K Views
(@raina)
Eminent Member

I'm playing 4 months now and i've learned this:

never give up, it's worth the time (that was after i got a first song down)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm playing 4 months now and i've learned this:

never give up, it's worth the time (that was after i got a first song down)

Seems the most important thing to learn. If you want to be the best, you'll have to work the hardest. If you want to be an ok player, you'll have to spend quite some time. 'talent' is for the lazy people. :D

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Besides actually learning the instrument, i've learned:

1) If you sound bad when playing slow, forget about playing fast anytime soon.

2) There's alot better music out there besides whats on the radio/mtv.

3) Although being critical is good... Sometimes you gotta stop complaining, and just PLAY.

4) Hard work DOES pay off.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Things I've learned in my 14 years on and off on the guitar. (This is just a list , order isn't important)

1) Don't be afraid of your guitar.

2) Don't be afraid to break strings. It's supposed to happen.

3) Practice a lot. Even if it's just an hour a day.

4) Get a good instructor that will help you.

5) The metronome is more useful than you think when practicing. I neglected using one for a long time.

6) Expect bad days when practicing. Great way to learn what to improve on.

7) Doesn't matter who's better then you. Your playing for yourself.

8 ...And have fun.

Practice, play, & review.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

7) Doesn't matter who's better then you. Your playing for yourself.

Good advice.

I would also like to add what I believe - as a rookie - is important:

- learn some songs fast, because it will encourage you for further playing/practicing

thanks for a great thread :D

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

I've only been playing for 5months but I think having a good drive is important.

for example , one of the thoughts I had when I started was : "okay now I'm going to start playing guitar and I won't stop until I can play Layla "( I was really into that song at that time , still am..cant' play it yet though and haven't really tried yet apart from the intro found in the easy riffs section. )

I didn't have much of an idea about guitar but I just started learning and it started to get really fun ! Now i'm hooked on the thing.

another way you could motivate yourself is by thinking you'll be learning to play by eventually bringing more music to the world of the kind you like. ( whether you'd be bringing it to yourself or to an audiance )

And I don't know if this tip is really useful but always have something ready to work on : learn new songs , practising songs , theory to read and study , exercises , books , etc..
The easier you can acces it , the faster you will get started on it.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

no matterwhat you can play, playing along with a friend makes anything 10x more enjoyable. Theres nothing better than playing a 2 guitar song oerfectly together (and some horribly sounding vocals, courtesy of me :D )

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't actually know what I've learned since I discovered Guitarnoise...

I suppose I've learned a little theory, learned a few songs from the Easy Song Database...

But I think the most important thing I've learned is....get out there and play with other people!!!! Recently, dropped in to a pub on the way home - bunch of guys my age (late 40's - early 50's) were in there, just jamming, playing a bunch of old songs, generally having fun....managed to get my hands on a guitar for a couple of songs, someone said "why don't you bring a guitar next week and join in?"

So I did....been two weeks running now, you can read all about it in the "What A Night" thread - parts 1 and 2...on the Guitar player's discussion forum....

I'm very probably the worst guitar player in the group...although I've recently been promoted from "Mediocre+" to "average"....but I managed to do something last week I've never done before...was watching other people's fingers for chord changes, and playing along with songs I didn't know that well.....

But I must be doing something right....when people turn round and say " see you next week?" as theyre going...you say "you bet!!!!" - and get a smile instead of an "oh (insert your favourite expletive here) ......

So I know where my tuesdays are going to be spent in future....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@phingerboard)
Trusted Member

"Listen to ALL types of music."

I would take this one step further and suggest emulating other instruments. A lot of hotshot guitar work is actually fairly simple when it's broken down. Listen to horn players and try to play what they are playing. This will often prove to be very challenging and will help your guitar playing skills to grow by leaps and bounds.

Best Guitar Sites | Guitar Players Lick Better

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

* Hum while you strum. It'll make singing and playing easier eventually.

I've been working on singing while playing latly and that advice really helped. I got confused strumming and trying to remember words and the lyrics beat. I learn something new everyday! :D

ReplyQuote
(@steedman3)

Wow. I know it's been said, but this is possibly the most informative, useful, and inspirational thread I have seen anywhere. Thanks guys!

I am 15 and I have only been playing guitar for 6ish months, but I had played piano for 8 years, so I had good theory knowledge and ok finger strength before picking up the guitar. I finally decided to learn the guitar when playing metal on the piano became unbearable. So although I'm a newb to guitar, hopefully some of the stuff will make sense and help.

Learn two types of songs: 'camp-fire' songs and difficult songs. This will make your playing more accessible to othes (camp-fire songs) and will increase your skill in a fun way (difficult songs).

Set up two books of tabs. One book with songs you can play entirely from memory correctly, and the other with the difficult songs you're currently learning. When you have mastered the difficult song/s, put it/them in the other book.

Don't conveniently forget to learn the lyrics to a song because your embarassed by your voice. Playing an instrument helps your singing skill to increase, and the sound of the guitar will give you both a reference point as well as allow you to hide behind it. :P It also helps others to sing along and enjoy it as much as you are.

Hope this helps. Thanks again!

People tell me I'm sick and twisted. I tell them I have the heart of a little boy. It's in a jar, on my shelf.

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

i like the two book idea....and I'm gonna try that humming while strumming tip...thnx guys!

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

all the tube amps, gadgets, stompboxes, $2000.oo guitars and $400.00 sound cards in the world won't make you sound good, Its 99% technique :!: Eric Clapton can play through any equipment and he will still sound like Eric Clapton 8) 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@safannin)

If you struggle with your rhythm playing and different strumming patterns, don't despair and don't let anyone tell you that "you have no rhythm". Because over the last year, my ability to play rhythm has gone from bad to good.

The most frustrating skill to try and learn from anyone (including teachers) is how to turn "tapping your knee" rhythm into guitar strumming. They always say, "You just do it like this" and then they play it, but it's very hard to explain how this works. All I can say is that something magical starts to happen the more you play. It just starts to click and you start expressing that rhythm from your guitar. It' pretty cool to see it happen.

Anyway, I always thought you either had it or you didn't, but I'm living proof that playing is a sure way to improve your ability to express that rhythm in your guitar so keep the faith that it will improve!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

when you improvise a lot, and i mean a whole lot, you may get to the point where your ability to create outpaces your ability to think about what you are creating. i.e., your fingers will seem to have a life of their own. this can cause confusion and instability.
the only advice i can think of is to be aware that it might happen, and don't let it bother you.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 26