Should I buy a second guitar?

93 Posts
34 Users
0 Reactions
14.6 K Views
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I'm glad i get to decide what i need :roll:

I can understand people being envious or even jealous of what others have but just because somebody thinks i may have more than i need, i'ts being "wasteful"?
Come on, thats ludicrus. the companys that make guitars stock warehouses full of these things. i could care less if somebody learning their first chord has 1 or 1000 guitars.

That is reasonable. All I "need" is one guitar (be it acoustic or electric) and ten fingers. You may need
more. That I can understand. The way I figure, if Muddy Waters and B.B. King can go over ten years using the same guitar, I dont think that having more than one is obligatory unless you have intentions of playing various styles.

Well, everybody's different. All that counts is the music. If you play better w/ fifty guitars, more power to you.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

That is reasonable. All I "need" is one guitar (be it acoustic or electric) and ten fingers. You may need
more. That I can understand. The way I figure, if Muddy Waters and B.B. King can go over ten years using the same guitar, I dont think that having more than one is obligatory unless you have intentions of playing various styles.

Well, everybody's different. All that counts is the music. If you play better w/ fifty guitars, more power to you.

I agree that the music is what matters, but i'm not concerned with being "reasonable".
Maybe i'm missing the point of your debate here?
If you are happy with "one" guitar then all the power to ya bro.

The point i (and others) are trying to make here is "need" has nothing to do with it.
It "is " about the music, and that's different for all of us. the 2 musicians you mention (Muddy & BB) both settled on a particular instrument late in their careers but both played a wide range of guitars before that. Google either one of them for images if you don't believe me.

Personally, my goal is to record my own music. I "need" a Bass, acoustic, acoustic 12, and several styles of electric guitars to get the sound i want for the different songs/styles i want to play. this has been a dream of mine for many years.
Having 50 (or 7) guitars doesn't make me play "better" but it is necessary to get the different sounds i want to make.

Sure all you proponants of Multi-effects can jump in here to prove that i only "need" one guitar to make all those sounds ,but i'm "old school" and prefer to actually play an acoustic rather than try to make an electric mimic one.

Maybe, if by some crazy twist of fate i actually make it big someday (not my goal) i will be fortunate enough to have an electric guitar designed and made for me like Muddy and BB, but i will still want to pick up my old acoustic once in a while.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I have resolved the need vs want dilema by stacking my guitars into a makeshift shelter. I use the ovation to carry water back and forth from the stream. I'm using an older no name strat clone to club small animals to death and I'm bringing them back to the shelter to cook over the fire I made out of the Esteban.

I'm getting better using an old warped neck and an E string as a bow and arrow, so I should be able to use the strat soon.

Does anyone have any experience wrapping old guitar strings into a coil to make a battery? I really need to power the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Here's what I have:
4 teles- 1 Standard, 1 Open G, 1 Open E, 1 in Open A just cause I don't always want to mess with a capo
a strat Standard
lap steel- Open D
my new AF 75 Standard
tak 12 string
austin acoustic electric Standard
Samick 6 sting acoustic in Open G
Alvarez 6 sting acoustic in Standard

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Here's what I have:

It's not how many toys you have, it's how much fun you have playing with them.

:lol: :lol:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Here's what I have:

It's not how many toys you have, it's how much fun you have playing with them.

:lol: :lol:

:lol: I don't have as many as Nick

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I agree that the music is what matters, but i'm not concerned with being "reasonable".
Maybe i'm missing the point of your debate here?
If you are happy with "one" guitar then all the power to ya bro.

I wasnt really debating. When "kingpatzer" posted that "Everybody Needs" (ten guitars) nobody argued with him. I guess b/c most like the fact of having multiple guitars. When I used the word "need" (keeping it to the minimum) I was debated w/. This led me to believe it had nothing to do w/ ones philosophy on "need" but it was more about the fact that most like having multiple guitars. And, its as simple as that. But your post made me realize that its not wasteful at all. Its just that every guitarist is different and we all have different needs.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

In the words of Struther Martin, from the movie "Cool Hand Luke", "Gentlemen, what we have here (pause for effect) Is a failure to communicate."

Voodoo probably doesn't mean to sound like he's trying to impose his personal standards of guitar ownership on anyone else. I mean that would be rude and ill mannered. I wouldn't say to Voodoo that he has to own more than one guitar or any guitar for that matter and I wouldn't say to Nick that he couldn't have more than five or twenty or whatever. That would be some kind of dictatorship where your every personal activity is constrained. That's 1984, or Brave New World or some religious cult where one guy with mirrored sunglasses tells you what you're doing, who you're marrying and even whether you can even own a guitar. Sure there are some people who are little dictators in their own little worlds, you know, terrorizing their families or lording over their employees and even food nazis who try to tell us not to eat eggs sunny side up or not to eat sushi or whatever. Always somebody trying to tell us what to do, what to think and what we can and cannot own. These kind of people are all around us and the folks here wade through all of that every day and come home and see our guitars and smile. We have our islands of sanity when we look at our guitar or guitars and pick up one and play away.

I mean nobody here would try to tell any of the rest of us how many guitars we 'should' or 'shouldn't' have. Those would be fighting words after all. And after all, how many guitars I 'need' is really my own business. We're here to celebrate our mutual love of all things guitars and to help each other out by sharing knowledge and experience and not to tell each other now many guitars we 'should' be allowed to have. That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

That was a great post.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Have just been skimming this thread - but have to say:
I can think of a number of reasons to have more than one guitar.

1. To produce just *that* sound
2. Not having to re-tune
3. Creating a desire to play - "and now just one hour on the green guitar..."
4. To satisfy the gatherer in us - I've had a little bit of that when it comes to slightly unusual bikes http://home.online.no/~carolbo/sykkel/#Sykler .
If my wallet, my living room and my wife would accept it, I'd have *many* more guitars...
5. Any combination of the above...

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Bah! :twisted:
The disbelievers shall be flogged!
All who own less than 2 guitars by the last day of the first year of ownership of the first guitar shall be required by law to send their guitar to the nearest multiple guitar owning GN member. (double necked guitars excluded)

btw Larsko, no recumbent bikes?, tandems?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

You want a second, third, forth, fifth, tenth guitar, get another guitar. An it harm none, do as thou wilt. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Have just been skimming this thread - but have to say:
I can think of a number of reasons to have more than one guitar.

1. To produce just *that* sound
2. Not having to re-tune
3. Creating a desire to play - "and now just one hour on the green guitar..."
4. To satisfy the gatherer in us - I've had a little bit of that when it comes to slightly unusual bikes http://home.online.no/~carolbo/sykkel/#Sykler .
If my wallet, my living room and my wife would accept it, I'd have *many* more guitars...
5. Any combination of the above...

Lars

Dude, an Eddie Merck bike? Like one he actually rode or a signature model? How cool is that. Now you need your Jan Ullrich, Lance Armstrong and Basso bikes. I know, read the freaking website, but man, I must have been having a flashback or something, the a's on the page had little circles over the top of them and it looks just so scrambled up, almost like a foreign language. Probably cause of all of the LDS I did in college. :shock: Which reminds me, the Tour de France should be coming up before too long now, better go look at Eurosport and the Daily Peleton.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Okay, I have resolved the need vs want dilema by stacking my guitars into a makeshift shelter. I use the ovation to carry water back and forth from the stream. I'm using an older no name strat clone to club small animals to death and I'm bringing them back to the shelter to cook over the fire I made out of the Esteban.

I'm getting better using an old warped neck and an E string as a bow and arrow, so I should be able to use the strat soon.

Does anyone have any experience wrapping old guitar strings into a coil to make a battery? I really need to power the amp.

ROFL! Darwinism according to guitarists. :lol:

Of course for me, only having one guitar, this means I'm being phased out of existence. :P

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

LOL Really loved Nick's first post. I have 5 electrics, two acoustic, keyboards, several Blues Harps and a pair of drumsticks. No drums, but I've got the sticks. :D

Loved Greybeards post too. I have been having problems with Ex-wife 1.0 and Ex-wife 2.0. I can't delete them, I've tried. I've thought about New-girlfriend 1.0, but have no money due to the aforementioned programs.

Hey, you want an electric, go buy it. Sheesh. It is not good to make oneself feel guilty. Later you will get married and program Wife 1.0 will completely take care of that for you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7