Clear all

Should I buy a second guitar?

93 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
14.5 K Views
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

I've got two and going to pick up my third soon. I have a Takamine Jasmine steel string acoustic-electric and a Squier Strat. I'm upgrading so I should be getting my MIM Strat in a couple of weeks.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Took the Rickenbacker in yesterday for a free 6 month set-up. they had a Martin aluminum electric "rockabilly" guitar, (for lack of a beter description) marked down half price, and my hubby said he'd buy it for me on the spot. I was sorely tempted. Do I NEED another guitar? Certainly not. Am I kicking myself this morning for being sensible and saying no? Damn straight!
It was really cool looking, and of course, Nick can back me up on this, the cooler you look, the better you sound!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

I actually saw one Rickenbacker at the music store, a cherry red thing that really stood out against the wall of Strats. The thing wasn't there a week before it was gone gone gone. Didn't even get a good look at it since it was sold so quickly. But I saw it stuck up there on the wall from far away and I said 'you know that looks like a Rickenbacker' and darned if it wasn't. A very distinctive look to that brand. I don't need one, it looks cool as does the fifty pound steel guitar they have there which I always say would be the guitar you would want in a bar fight or one you'd want to give to Nick as the poor guy has gone Jeramiah Johnson on us because of the 'need' discussion and I'm pretty sure one of those big ole steel guitars would be good for fighting baares' and such. I mean Nick could get maybe one swing in with the steel before he became Guitar Mountain Man tar tar for the bear. I know he wouldn't swing one of his more expensive babies to save his life so a steel would be a good choice. Unless he had taken an old squier and sharpened the blade end so he'd have a real axe. I wonder if his axe playing skills would improve with a squier sharpened blade axe.

A funny thing about needing another guitar. Often times you don't even know you are developing the need for the next guitar until you see it. You're kicking yourself over a guitar that wasn't even on your radar the day before and unfortunately I haven't been to enough guitar stores to see any guitar sales. Prices around the guitars I've always been looking at have stayed constant the time I've been observing them. Which has been all of six months. Anyone have any better knowledge about guitar prices and flucuations of them? Are there guitar sales? AH this would be a great question to ask in a new thread.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Looking cool does make you sound better.

Having many guitars makes you look cool.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If you have to ask if you should buy one, than no.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Rats Kathy, I would have loved to see you with another cool guitar. One will pop up later . . . :-)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

gadlaw

Years ago I had a buddy with a Rickenbacker. They are awesome guitars, sound incredible and play like butter. Ever get a chance to grab one up at a great price, get it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Question - Should I buy a second guitar

Answer - Yes

How you possibly gonna get to your third if you don't :?:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

gadlaw

Years ago I had a buddy with a Rickenbacker. They are awesome guitars, sound incredible and play like butter. Ever get a chance to grab one up at a great price, get it.

Thanks for the heads up. I was really stunned by how quickly it was sold. It gave me that 'if somebody wants it that badly I need to look into getting one' feeling. I go into that particular store twice a week so I think I get to see everything that comes in. Thanks for the recommendation. They do look distinctive that's for sure.

I definitely have too much time on my hands. :)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

I don't deserve a rickenbacker until I can play like George Harrison.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That is too funny!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

If you have to ask if you should buy one, than no.

THis is the reason why you should NEVER ask!!!! It is much easier to get Forgivness than it is to get Permission, even from yourself.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

That is too funny!!!

Thank you, I'll be here all week. If there was just a bit more of the picture I wanted to have him windmilling like Pete Townshend. I think that's who I remember playing like that. I just know Wes can rock like that.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

gadlaw

You do not know how shocked I was to see my own Avatar. :shock: That is amazing.

Can you make my head spin around like The Exorcist?

Send that to me, I'll use it in my Avatar.

Nobody better laugh, no-one is safe from gadlaw, just remember that. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

gadlaw

You do not know how shocked I was to see my own Avatar. :shock: That is amazing.

Can you make my head spin around like The Exorcist?

Send that to me, I'll use it in my Avatar.

Nobody better laugh, no-one is safe from gadlaw, just remember that. 8)

Sorry to have shocked you. I did something like that to Nils too. It's just always seems like a good idea when I think of it and then after I post something like that - and after a little while is when it occurs to me that the person whose picture I fooled with might not think it's funny. So I apologize to everyone in advance if I fiddle with your picture. It's all good natured on my part. And I can actually do just about anything with a picture - given enough of a picture that is. The little tiny icons are like 6 kbs or so and are a bit difficult to work with. Having said that, I see that I could give Hummerline lazy eye or just about any eye movement I could think of - it's a great picture with personality already. I've stifiled myself on that one cause it seems like it might be mean. And you know, make lazer beams come out of Nick's eyes or roll twistedlefty's eyes. Silly stuff like that. Thanks for not being mad. And I believe I can make your head spin. A bigger picture would work better but I think I can do it. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7