Skip to content
should i learn w/ p...

Notifications
Clear all

should i learn w/ pinky anchored or inner hand slightly.....

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@scatterbrain1234)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

when i strum, i'm developing a habit of slightly touching the inner part of my hand (don't know what the technical term is, basically the area of the inner hand where the hand muscles connects to the thumb) to the bridge of the guitar. i do this to gauge where my hand is at all times. it would be impossible for me to play dave matthew's "crash" if i didn't do this. i've seen some people who anchor their pinkies to gauge where they are at. which method is technically better for maximum guitar playing? guaging where you're @ w/ the pinky anchored or with inner hand slightly touching the bridge?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They've both got their advantages and disadvantages.

Anchoring at the bridge means easy palm muting, but it also means you can accidentally mute notes, and it's harder to get speed (because of friction on the side of your hand)

Anchoring with the pinky can be pretty awkward for things with a lot of string skipping. On the other hand, it's a good way to place your hand if it won't move - like for ragtime or other fingerpicked styles.

Most top-level guitarists 'float' the hand, with no anchoring at all. People who have been playing a while always say that's harder to learn... but I don't buy that. My young students have never anchored, so I think it's harder simply because it's breaking a habit. Floating the hand gives you the best of all worlds - it's very easy to drop anchor using either technique if you want it for a specific sound, and sail right on after you're done with it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

unless you are finger picking or using percussive muting techniques when strumming try to keep a floating hand.
it will give you more freedom when strumming, your wrist will be healthier as a bent wrist can cause many physical problems.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I learned by anchoring my pinky. I am now trying to unlearn this bad habit for reasons stated above. Go floating.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

As far as I am concerned all techniques are valid. There are some songs I strum with a floating hand, some I strum with palm-bridge anchoring, some I pick floating, some I pick with only a few fingers and keep the pinky anchored. The best technique for any song is the one which lets you play it best. Some techniques may be more 'correct' than others but sometimes performance is more important than learning.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

When I started, I was anchoring my pinky on the guitar, but found it easier to finger pick having my hand float. I guess I agree with martin-6, try to use what works for a given song. It's not that hard to switch, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on either position, you can always change to whatever works. Now if I could only sound that confident using a pick. For some reason, using a pick gives me more trouble. Sometimes it seems effortless, other times it feels clumsy. Oh well, I'll get it eventually.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I anchor my pinky when arpeggiating chords, playing power chords, or lead. Still, I think it's a bad habit and a crutch. But then again, I'm not a pro (at least that's my excuse).

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My young students have never anchored

What he said. In fact, my 64-year old student with fingers like a pound of sausages has never anchored either.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote