Clear all

starting lessons...

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know to some this might sound like the dumest question, but I am starting lessons in the next week or so, but I was only wondering what are the things I can expect to learn early on?

(@xephon)

Hey there,

Ive only been taking lessons for 2 months, but this is how my lessons have went so far. (1 per week)
1.) Learn how to read music. A few notes per lesson until you can read and play the notes on the 1st 4 frets
2.) practice songs using those notes
3.) Learn some open cords
4.) Rinse and repeat...im at this point

Im pretty sure your teacher will have you learn how to read music if you cant do so now. A lot of it has to deal with just getting used to playing and building up your finger strength and muscle memory.

My only advice I can give (I just made a post about this) is that if you feel that you are getting bored with the lessons or that your not learning what you think you should be, is to tell your teacher right away and try and work something out.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Im pretty sure your teacher will have you learn how to read music if you cant do so now.

Of all the teachers I have had, I've never had one try to teach me to read music but I SURE wish they had.

xEphon's is right. You'll learn alot of open chords first and technique. The first few lessons will probably be just as much about him learning where you are on the guitar as you learning something. I'd also suggest you give it some time with the same teacher because at first it sometimes seems like you arent learning anything or its not worth it, and then it starts coming together.

Good luck in your lessons and have fun with it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

My teacher hasnt covered reading music either...but, I have been going through a beginners guitar method book for 15 minutes everyday. I recommed all beginners learn standard notation...just in the short amount of time I have been learning it, I have noticed that I am able to look at a sheet of music and can "begin" to comprehend it...and every week, I can comprehend a little more.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Some teachers may not push their students to learn to read standard notation (notes) because they don't want to overwhelm them, but if they know you want to learn, they may include it.

If you don't read notes already, maybe you'll want to tell your teacher that you are interested in learning to read standard notation along with tablature (tabs), which I highly recommend.

You have nothing to lose, and will only benefit from being able to read guitar music written in BOTH notes and tabs. Standard notation gives you information about the rhythm that tabs can't, and tabs show you WHERE on the neck they want you to play that note (which standard notation can't), since every note can be played in any of several places on the guitar. Very valuable to understand and read both!

Good luck! :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote