Clear all

Strap Locks

48 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What strap locks would you guys recommend? I don't care about price I just want the safest and securest strap lock that wont ruin my guitar.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@vccky)
Estimable Member

I think I`d definitely need one of those too...I`m always afraid my strap will give away. :S

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I use Schaller and Dunlop and both seem to work just fine, however the Schaller are my old ones. I guess I'm a Dunlop guy now. I have straplocks on all of my electric guitars.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I like Dunlop's strap locks. I'm sure there are others just as good too. I learned the hard way to use strap locks after my guitar hit the stage mid-song! :oops:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

which ones are easier to use and install? i'm looking into them as well as i'm going to be getting back on stage here soon

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The strap buttons for both are screw in replacements. The strap end of the hardware is different. Schaller thread onto your strap with a nut, Dunlop uses a locking ring that snaps into place. To remove the Dunlops from your strap is a little trickey. I use needle nose plyers and I have to be careful the little locking ring doesn't fly across the room. Not a problem though unless you are wanting to switch to a different strap. Keep the same strap and you are set. The Schallers just screw off, but there is the difference. The Schallers tend to loosen up with time so you need to keep check on them that the nut is tight. Dunlops have a button you press in to release them. Shallers have a little knob you pull up on. This knob is also screwed on and can come loose. Schallers have a horseshoe with a little collar that slides onto the strap button. Very secure but as it swivels it can make a creaking noise. The dunlops have a ring of little ball bearings that ride in a groove inside the strap button. Smoother but maybe less stable, although mine have never faild me.

P.S. For the Dunlops look for the Dual Design ones. They will also work like a regular strap button if you wanted to use a strap that didn't have the locking system on it. I have one set of the old kind and using a strap on that that didn't have the locking system on it would not be wise.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Do all strap locks tend to get loose overtime? And are we talking about just slightly loose or eventually stripping the button hole loose? The main thing that I am worried about is the hole that the strap lock goes into, is it common to haves problems with this?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use Grolsch Beer strap locks exclusively. I'm not sure if you've got the same over there but it's worth it. Plus, you've got some beer.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I use Grolsch Beer strap locks exclusively. I'm not sure if you've got the same over there but it's worth it. Plus, you've got some beer.

I'm quite familiar with Grolsch, and it does have the cool lever-action top on the bottles here as well.
But how do you adapt them for guitar strap use? *

I assume you use part of the metal bit?

* I understand fully how the contents might be applied to a guitarist's use.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nope, the rubber rings. It's way stronger then it looks and works just fine. Just wriggle them over the knob and it falls back and stays there. :)

Ofcourse, to be on the safe side I replace them every hour. You've gotta take music seriously, you know? ;)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Bottle Stopper

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Do all strap locks tend to get loose overtime? And are we talking about just slightly loose or eventually stripping the button hole loose? The main thing that I am worried about is the hole that the strap lock goes into, is it common to haves problems with this?

That depends upon the screw sizes. Regular strap buttons can loosen also. This isn't a problem. If the hole is too big I just dip a tooth pic into some wood glue, stick it in the hole and break it off. I let the glue dry then replace the screw. Problem solved. The nuts on the strap part of the Schaller's do loosen though and I need to periodically tighten them. The Dunlops are maintenance free. I think that's why I switched. That and they are smoother when it comes to swiveling.

Beer bottle stoppers ......... I like that! 8)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Nope, the rubber rings. It's way stronger then it looks and works just fine. Just wriggle them over the knob and it falls back and stays there. :)

Ofcourse, to be on the safe side I replace them every hour. You've gotta take music seriously, you know? ;)

Woah.. I am so going to try that out. Well, not the every hour part.. its not my fav beer any more.. but I bet that would work nicely as a strap lock.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You sound like a truly dedicated professional. :D

If you ever feel like emigrating to Australia you'll fit right in. Plenty of Dutch people here already - so I'll get somebody to make up a bed and put a few in the fridge just in case....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

You sound like a truly dedicated professional. :D

If you ever feel like emigrating to Australia you'll fit right in. Plenty of Dutch people here already - so I'll get somebody to make up a bed and put a few in the fridge just in case....

Cheers,

Chris

need any more brits out there chris?....i like the sound of your hospitality :lol: ...I too am as dedicated as Arjen..I take my drinkin...err...playing seriously :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4