Strap Locks

48 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Bottle Stopper
Did you place a bottle stopper over the original button or did you use a different screw and attached the bottle stopper to that?

I really like the looks of this design - it seems as secure as anything I'll ever need. Even more importantly it looks very safe for the guitar button hole wise and finish wise.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

That bottle stopper looks like a great idea. Po' boys strap lock! :D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Did you place a bottle stopper over the original button or did you use a different screw and attached the bottle stopper to that?
I really like the looks of this design - it seems as secure as anything I'll ever need. Even more importantly it looks very safe for the guitar button hole wise and finish wise.
It's just pushed over the original button. When they've been on a bottle, they're no longer flat - just make sure that the lifted centre is on the outside and it pushes the rest tight up against the strap.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

need any more brits out there chris?....i like the sound of your hospitality :lol: ...I too am as dedicated as Arjen..I take my drinkin...err...playing seriously :roll:

Always room for someone from Leicestershire. :) I did my motor engineering training at Loughborough, so much of my early studies into various forms of lubrication were done there (and in a small village called Wymeswold, if I can remember the spelling).

The beer bottle stopper rubber ring trick looks good. I can remember other bottles that used that system (Lucozade, Tizer??) but they've probably passed into history now. Safer to go with Sleutelbos' genuine original and get some Grolsch I think. I have bought it here before.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Grolsh is the only thing I've seen in years with that system, and only for one particular size of bottle. Funnily enough, the last place I remember seeing it has an open mic-ish thing going on tomorrow, and I'm probably going to pop down. I'll let you know :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ha, over here it's the standard. Loads of rehearsal rooms only sell Heineken en Grolsch, and that's kinda a no-brainer. :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

No rubber stoppers in the beer here. Just twist off and bottle opener beer. :lol: I bet that stuff you have over there taste pretty good too. Have one for me OK?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

No rubber stoppers in the beer here. Just twist off and bottle opener beer. :lol: I bet that stuff you have over there taste pretty good too. Have one for me OK?

You dont get Grolsh in the flip tops there? TR?

We can get them in the liquor stores here in Oklahoma and were about the most repressed in the country. LOL

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The beer here is in grocery and convienence stores ... pretty much main stream domestic ...... well except for Canadian beer. Got that in spades! There are some specialty beer stores. I could look there. They might have it. Do you guys have Molson and Labatts?

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Other options....

I was at the hardware store this morning and the plumbing department had a number of different rubber washers which would do the job too. I've got one left over from a pack that was for replacing the washers in a toilet cistern and it turns out to be perfect for the task. Wide, made of sturdy rubber, and with the right sized hole in the middle. :)

At least, it was perfect for one guitar. The end of the knob/button on the other acoustic was quite a bit smaller, so I'll try something else for that one.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I like the Schallers. There's a limit to how thick a strap they'll go on, though. The threaded part is only so long and if the strap is very thick the threads won't reach out far enough to get the nut on. I have an Italia strap that's nice and thick and to get schallers on it I had to make a cutout in the lining layer of leather - the horseshoe on the lock recesses into the cutout.

As for keeping them from coming loose, blue locktite seems to work pretty well.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Do you guys have Molson and Labatts?

We have Molsons, never heard of Labatts but that doesnt mean alot.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

On my electric I use these:

Found them on ebay. They're not overly expensive and seem pretty solid.

Haven't found a solotion for my accoustic yet. May have to go down to the off license and get a crate of Grolsch later today.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I haven't seen those before. Look like they work well though.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

They look pretty chunky compared to some I've seen but they seem to be sturdy enough.

I got them from ebay UK but just done a quick check and you can get them in the US as well:

Ebay

8)

Edit: inserted link.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4