Notifications
Clear all

Strap Locks

48 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@the_jinj)
Eminent Member

Another vote here for the Grolsch locks - been using them for a while! Think I need another 6 strap locks, never can have enough :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So now I have a new dilemma, the case for my LP is so tight and conforming it won't allow me to put it away with the strap on.

I wanted to use the rubber washer idea because it didn't involved any drilling of my guitar. But now I need a strap that can has an effective quick release. For now I am still using a standard strap and button, but the repeated action of taking the strap on and off has started to spread the hole, which obviously makes it less secure.

So anyone want to recommend a strap lock with a trustworthy quick release and *ideally* minimal drilling required?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

The Marvel ones I mentioned in my earlier post are sturdy. When I fiited the buttons to my Pacifica I didn't need to redrill the hole and they are petty solid. Whether or not this will be the case on your LP I'm not sure. I'll let you know in a couple of days. :wink: (Ooops!! I've said too much already :oops: You ain't seen me - right?).

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

heres some locking type straps http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?q=locking+strap
I'm not sure how reliable they are compared to the schaller and dunlop locking systems though.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You don't need to drill for Schallers or Dunlops. Just need to replace the screw is all.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I second Stengah's suggestion.

I had one of these for a year while owning the guitar and it was solid and reliable. And for the price, you could buy a couple for backups.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Performance-Plus-Hootenanny-Woven-Nylon-Locking-Guitar-Strap?sku=360651

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What would be perfect is something that worked like a carribeaner; it would have a loop that screwed into your guitar and a clip that attached to your strap so all that you would do is clip your strap on/off.

Is there anything like that out there, or I am going to be doing some custom work?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I had looked at those and they might work, but I don't really like the design.

I was thinking of something like this:

But fitted for a guitar and strap.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe this is a little closer:

Just turn the "Best Friends" part into the strap and have some kind of loop on the guitar to clip on to.

*Edit*: Just to clarify, picture a scaled down version of this:

Connected to the strap and a small loop serving as the button to connect the strap to the guitar.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Nexion, I'm a little concerned about all that metal rattling around in the vicinity of my guitars shiny finish. It would knock lumps out of it in no time. I understand the concern you addressed about drilling a hole to fit conventional strap locks but surely that is more preferable than the carabina option. And as has already been stated by a number of people drilling is not always necessary when fitting conventional strap locks.

I'm not trying to stifle innovation, just worried about the finish on your beloved instruments. :wink:

8)

Edit: I have just noticed your signature. How appropriate. :lol:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Eddie Van Halen does this. I don't know if they are custom or if you can buy them. I've never seen them for sale.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Zakk Wylde looks like he has put the kind of eyehooks you use for hanging a porch swing into his guitar :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Nexion, I'm a little concerned about all that metal rattling around in the vicinity of my guitars shiny finish. It would knock lumps out of it in no time. I understand the concern you addressed about drilling a hole to fit conventional strap locks but surely that is more preferable than the carabina option. And as has already been stated by a number of people drilling is not always necessary when fitting conventional strap locks.

I'm not trying to stifle innovation, just worried about the finish on your beloved instruments. :wink:

The finish wouldn't be a problem, the only metal part would be a very small clip at the end of the strap. And if you are wearing it there wouldn't be any slack, therefore it wouldn't really be possible to scratch your finish. And I wanted this design so I can take the strap on/off very easily without compromising the security of the strap.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Thanks, Sleutelbos! I was going to blow $20 for one pair of straplocks my son's new SG, but instead, I spent $10 for two pairs and a buzz:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4