Skip to content
String buzz: Setup ...

Notifications
Clear all

String buzz: Setup problem or am I picking too hard?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@globetro)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently got a new Schecter C-1 Classic. The guitar feels great, but I'm getting some string buzz on the low-E and A strings. If I pick lightly, they don't really buzz, and I don't think I can hear the buzz through the amp, but when playing unplugged and at my usual picking strength, there's definitely a more than desirable amount of buzz.

So I'm wondering if perhaps I'm picking too hard? What exactly is the right amount of force to pick the strings? I've read some articles that say you should pick strings pretty firmly, while other articles have mentioned that you shouldn't be picking too hard.

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

You should adjust your action to suit your picking style...
If you like to pick agressively or strum hard, you may need to raise your action a little to accommodate...

Your picking technique can also have an effect on string buzz. Try and pick so the string vibrates horizontally (parallel to the frets) not vertically (as this oscillates the string perpendicular to the frets and causes them to buss more easily)
The angle of attack of your pick has a lot to do with this aswell.

Experiment a bit to find the right balance between ease of play and clean ringing notes...

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@tvcasualty42)

I was looking at that Schecter online yesterday. It looks great. How's the tone??? Thanks!

Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.

-Ayn Rand

ReplyQuote
(@globetro)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at that Schecter online yesterday. It looks great. How's the tone??? Thanks!

I'm a relative guitar newbie, but it sounds and feels great! Definitely a step up from my MIM Fender Strat. The only negative is that I prefer the stain-finish neck of the Strat versus the shiny, lacquer(?) finish of the Schecter.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

As Jmin7b5 said, you should adjust your action to your playing style. If you tend to pick or strum with a lot of attack you may have to adjust your action a little higher than most.

But you may be attacking the strings too hard. It is hard to describe how much force a person should use when picking and strumming, but it should feel natural. I believe a lot of beginners do use more force than needed though.

In my opinion, the secret to good strumming and picking is to control and keep the motion of your picking hand to a minimum. Myself, I like to rest the side of my picking hand on the strings, or just behind the bridge. It doesn't stay there, I kinda bounce up and down. Hope that doesn't confuse you. But you want to keep your hand as close to the strings as possible and keep up and down motion to a minimum. Resting your hand like this also helps you control unwanted sounds from strings you are not playing.

Lots of folks ask about muting strings. Well, you don't have to mute a string you don't pick. So, if you are playing power chords on two strings, practice keeping your up and down motion to a very minimum just striking those two strings. Then you don't have to worry about muting strings above or below.

So, what I guess I'm saying is practice to be precise. And to be precise you don't want to be flailing around. Keep it nice and controlled.

A lot of times when you see players on TV or videos it looks like they are really moving their hands up and down a lot. But really they are not doing so. You do use more motion on acoustic guitar, this is how you get dynamics in your playing. But with electric you want to use far less motion.

Like I said, hard to describe, but practice playing with a fairly light touch.

But if you are picking lightly and still get buzz, you need to raise your action a little.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote