Notifications
Clear all

String picking problem

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vinmanagent11)
Topic starter  

Hello, I've been playing on an Acoustic Guitar for about 2 weeks or so, and am a very fast learner. The only problem I seem to have it picking the right string when looking at the fretboard. I have a problem "measuring" where the next string or two strings are when beings hit; it just seems very weird. The only string I can seem to always get right is the low E (which is probably because I can start to play it from any place and I will always hit it), though I mess up on the rest from here to there. Is this a common beginners problem, or am I doing something wrong? I know I'm holding the pick correctly (checked a few resources), and I think something's wrong with either my posture or my wrist/arm movement. Help will be greatly appreciated, thanks : )

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

That is not an abnormal problem for a beginner. It is very difficult finding the right string or strings especially when you are paying attention to two hands.

One of the reasons that people emphasis practicing scales is that one of the things you learn to FEEL where the strings are.

Scales are the best way to 1) learn the notes on the neck, 2) exercise you fret hand, and 3) get the FEEL for where the strings are with your picking hand.

Practice is the key. Pick a basic scale that starts with open strings and start slow and suddenly your speed and controls with improve.

A good exercise I liked was to start with the 6th string (low E) pick it open, fret the first fret and pick it, pick it open again, fret the 2nd fret and pick it, pick it open again, fret the 3rd fret and pick it, pick it open again, fret the 4th fret and pick it. Now move to the 5th string and do the same, then the 4th until you get thru the 1st (high E). By the way, finger the first fret with your index (1), 2nd with the middle (2), 3rd with the ring (3), and the 4th fret with the pinkie (4).

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I worked out several exercises to help me get past that. One I played alot while watching the news (kept my eyes off the strings) was - fretting the strings anywhere you like, pick the 6th string, 5th string, 6th, 4th, 6, 3, 6, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 5, 3 and so on up the strings. Then starting with the 1st, 2, 1, 3 and so on.

In time your hand will remember.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@vinmanagent11)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice so far! I've been trying to develop some practices of my own for learning the strings, but any others you might have will be helpful as well.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Here's another one that's a bit more fun to play (ie: it sounds better). Also helps with maintaining a steady rythym.

These are all played as 16th notes, and I've indicated the pick direction (D=down, U=up) over the first measure but it's repeated throughout.

D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U
|---0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0-
|------------------------------------
|----------------------------0-------
|-0--------2--------3----------------

|-2----------------------------------
|----------3--------2--------0-------

|-0--------2--------4----------------

|----------0-------------------------
|-2-----------------3--------2-------

|-0--------2--------3----------------

|-2----------------------------------
|----------3--------2--------0-------

|-2--------0-------------------------
|-------------------2--------3-------

|-0--------3--------0----------------

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One key to developing quickly on guitar (or anything else, really) is to isolate the problem, solve it, and then integrate your new skill. With the problem of hitting the right string with the pick, that's ALL you should focus on in an exercise... try something like this:

Without looking at your picking hand, you'll pick each string by number - 6 is the low E, 1 is high E.

6 6 6 6 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6

When you've got that down, try two strokes per string:

6 6 5 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6

Then try string skipping:

6 5 6 4 6 3 6 2 6 1 6 2 6 3 6 4 6 5 4 5 3 5 2 5 1 5 2 5 3 5 4 3 4 2 4 1 etc.

That'll help develop the small motor skills that you need for picking. Do them at a slow temp, and concentrate on how your hand feels - don't tense up, just really focus on what your hand is doing. Then try to pick up the tempo a bit.

Once you're confident with exercises like these, then add the fretting hand. The notes won't matter as much as coordination between the hands - you can use scales, or chromatics (each note 1 fret higher or lower than the last), or patterns like this:

-----------------------3-
-----------------3---2---
-----------3---2---1-----
-----3---2---1-----------
---2---1-----------------
-1-----------------------

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote