Clear all

Strings question

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a couple packs of extra strings for my acoustic, I'm getting an electric pretty soon and I was wondering, do they use the same kind of strings or would I have to by different ones when they need replacing?

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

you need to get different strings.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

There are strings made for electrics. Acoustics might sound weird on an electric and vice versa.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

From experience, I can tell you that you can put electric strings on an acoustic, however, it doesn't sound that great. I haven't tried it the other way around, but i get this feeling that it would not end well, haha.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Get black beauties!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I do like the sound of nickel electric strings on acoustics. They're very bright sounding compared to bronze or brass ones.

Bronze and brass are nonmagnetic materials, so if you put those strings on an electric only the steel core wire excites the magnetic pickups, meaning your wound strings will put out less volume than they should.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Depends on a few things, some can and some can't. Nowdays most sets of strings say on the package what type of guitar they are for. That doesn't always mean you can't experiment. You never know you could find a completely orginal sound by bending the strings some.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I second that Ricochet - I run 010 Nickels on my Fender accoustic currently. I like the sound and playability - but: the volume is gone. With no mic I really have to play hard outside or in noisy surroundings.

As for OP's original question which was really about putting bronze strings on an electric - I don't think it's worth trying out. '

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for replies. Thats good stuff to know.

ReplyQuote