Notifications
Clear all

stuck on 2 chords?

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you're ever going to play the blues, you're eventually going to have to learn three chords in the same key - the I IV and V of that key. With A and E, you're going to need either a B chord - difficult for beginners, E is the I (or root) A is the IV (4th) and B (which can only be played as a barre chord) the V (5th.)

Much easier to add D to your learning schedule - then you can play A D and E. A the root, D the IVth and E the Vth.....

eventually you'll want to play with other musicians - if someone shouts "Slow blues in C!" you'll know you want to play C F and G....

Then you'll get to learning barre chords - once you get the hang of those, slow blues in ANY key will be easy - playing rhythm, anyway.....

For now, I'd say learn the D chord like TRGuitar said - you can do a lot with 3 chords! Status Quo and ZZ Top have had long succesful careers playing 3-chord, 12-bar boogies.....

You can always learn the B (barre) chord later.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@electric-gypsy)

I don't think it's abnormal unless you're playing in a position that is not very academic. If you're holding your guitar in a way that it doesn't get both of your arms completely tensed, then there's nothing wrong with it. I used to spend a lot of time switching before a few chords when I first started too. And practicing it for two weeks doesn't mean there's something wrong...in the end, you'll feel more comfortable doing it than someone who's practiced those two chords for 30 minutes every two days for example. As I said, there'd be a problem only if you felt any kind of discomfort while playing.

And as stated above, try taking it to another level by throwing in some other chords.
Hope this helps...

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

I learned four chords first,G,C,D,and E minor. You can play tons of songs here with these simple chords. Just practice them,going from one to the next until you got pretty good,then try strumming.I was playing within two weeks with this method. Also get a capo,this is a guitarists best friend. A capo,and the four chords I mentioned you can play almost anything in the easy to play books.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

I learned four chords first,G,C,D,and E minor. You can play tons of songs here with these simple chords. Just practice them,going from one to the next until you got pretty good,then try strumming.I was playing within two weeks with this method. Also get a capo,this is a guitarists best friend. A capo,and the four chords I mentioned you can play almost anything in the easy to play books.

same goes with A,D and E 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

same goes with A,D and E 8)

Equally true! Tons of rock songs! I was thinking acoustic,since I started on one.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2