Skip to content
The right way to pr...

Notifications
Clear all

The right way to practice....and pulling off.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I don't feel like I'm practicing the right way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the "correct" way to practice. My practice seems inconsistent, and I need some sort of structure to it. I know I should practice chord changes and picking technique, scales and such. I'm just looking for suggestions.....what works for you guys?

Also pulling off. Really basic question. But when you pull off are you supposed to just lift your finger off the string or are you supposed to actually pull the string a bit?

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

When you pull off, it's usually helpful to pull the strig a bit. Sometimes you want the note to die off quickly, but most of the time a pull is in order.

ReplyQuote
(@jimdunk)
Eminent Member

As for the pull off, I recall my first problem was trying to do the opposite of a hammer on (e.g., a hammer off). That didn't work at all. What you really need to do is pull your finger down -- rather abruptly -- toward the floor and partially away from the string. It does take some practice -- for me, much more than the hammer on did.

I tend to think of "raking" the string as I pull off, you are almost plucking it with your left hand on the way down.

As for practice, I find that I want to have a distinct purpose in mind when I practice. You mention chords, If I'm practicing chord changes, I'd get out my song or chord progression and sit down with the metronome. If I can't make the changes at 60 bpm. I'd likely turn the metronome off and just rehearse moving from one chord to the other, until I can change at 60 BPM. Then I'll work it up to whatever tempo is needed.

If it's something I find boring, like running scales, I'll set a time limit -- 5 min. 10 min. -- whatever, turn on the metronome and go to it. I'll always jot down what my current metronome pace is for a given piece/scale, etc.

I also get play-along type of materials. The best for me have tunes played at different tempos 100, 150, 200. I work on my own until I'm up to 100, then turn on the CD and try to play along. For me the two keys to practice: have a purpose (e.g smooth chord changes), have a measurable goal (changes at 100 BPM).

I should note that I'm also good for undisciplined practice, wherein I'll run through chord changes on the guitar while watching a football game. Obviously, not the best way to practice -- but it makes the football game more interesting. :D

Jim

Make Guitar Music

ReplyQuote