Clear all

The Search for a teacher

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I still can't find a teacher, no one will accomidate my work schedule. So my best chance is someone that does it on the side, they might be more flexible. So, does anyone know a site where teachers advertise like that?

Question #2: Why do some teachers insist on acoustic guitar? I mean, what if I want to learn some whammy bar techniques or controlled feedback?

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I know what you are going through! I searched for a teacher for months. I am an advanced intermediate level player, so I wanted someone who can help me reach the next level. I thought I found it - the guy has a masters degree in music, plays several instruments, etc. BUT, after about a month, I knew he was taking me in the wrong direction. He wasn't flexible and didn't want me to decide which direction he would help me, so I dropped him!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You might check bulletin board sites like Craigslist - lots of folks teaching will post there. Or check physical bulletin boards at grocery stores and the like.

Teachers who insist on acoustic guitar are either following bad advice ("you should always learn on acoustic first") or maybe they're concerned about the noise level - especially if they're teaching on the side from an apartment. I'll teach on whatever guitar a student wants to learn, and that's true of every teacher I know... except those who specialize in classical guitar only.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

You might try your local university. They may have teachers they recommend or they may be able to put you in touch with a qualified grad student.

One side note; would you ever allow yourself to go under the knife of someone who practices surgery on the side?

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check your local College and/or also look on CraigsList. Find your city and in the upper left corner there is a Musicians Link.

Some cities though haven't caught on with CL and its not very active. But I've sold/bought and found other players locally via CL.

Good luck and I'm glad to hear your looking. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It will be hard for you to find a teacher who teaches full time, if you need a flexible schedule. Every full time teacher in my area wants to have you commit to a particular time each week, which is understandable, because they have to accomodate many students and would go nuts trying to juggle a constantly changing schedule. That leaves you with part time teachers and teachers who are new and are willing to be flexible to get another student. Check the local music stores and ask the clerks - they can always give you some names. If you know any musicians, ask them to put the word out for what kind of teacher you are looking for. Call them all and ask - that is about the only thing I can suggest.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Another option is to try to make a regular schedule in an irregular way. I have a number of adult stiudents who do every other week or twice a month (say the first and third Wednesday). CFB is right in that teachers want to have their schedules set, if for no other reason than it allows them to have a life, too :wink: . Sometimes coming up with a regular thing, but not weekly, will work for both teacher and student.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Good news everyone!

Someone advertised guitar lessons in the paper so I gave him a call. Unfortunately, he teaches afternoons, which is bad because I'm on..........afternoons. However, if he has a spot open on my days off, he'll squeeze me in there. It could be 3 weeks between lessons but it's better than nothing. My first lesson is next week.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea! I remember your post when you first put it up. Glad someone is understanding. I think having 3 weeks between lessons gives you plenty of time to work on material and make you yearn for your next lesson. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

congrats owa, go in there and blow him away, if he see's how dedicated you are he might
jugle his schedule around so he can give you lessons more frequently 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote