Skip to content
Time of your life, ...

Notifications
Clear all

Time of your life, is it really a begginer's song?

33 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I just learned that song and I think it may be a little beyond someone playing for three weeks,but it is not undoable.

It may take you a month of practice but I think you can get it. You should push yourself. You can always learn easier songs at the same time and just plug away at this one here and there.

The picking is not that hard. The strumming is a little difficult if you match the song, but you dont have to match it exactly. You can start with a basic strum and add to it later.

The most difficult part is the chord switching which is very fast, especially if you match the recording. About half of the chords are extreemly easy switches. The other half will slow you down though.

Go For It!

Good luck.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

this song is not that hard if you strum the chords but it may be a bit of a stretch. basically it's a G, C, D song. it's kind of fast and there's an eminor to D change wihch you might have trouble with. if you have the song on cd practice with the cd. you'll probably be a better guitarist after learning this song.

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

this honestly is a fairly easy song. and just to see the record straight the strumming is DDUUDU for each chord and if not it won't sound right. it really is picking on the first verse and chorus but that is difficult for a beginner to do. and that chord progression is very very basic:

G G C D, (first two lines are intro)
G G C D,
G G C D,
G G C D,
Em D C G
Em D C G,

then:
Em G Em G Em D G for chorus and you just repeat that same stuff over and over in the song, very simple with very basic chords. good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I have to disagree on the chords. I think these are the chords played and they are actually easier to switch. I also disagree on the strumming. Someone mentioned eariler that the strumming pattern changes during the song and I agree with that. You will notice that makes some of the chord changes a snap.... for the verses. Though I play a straight C the second time.

Gmodal :320033
C9 :032033
Dsus4 :000233
Em :022000 or even :022033

Verse 1:

G C9 Dsus4 G
Another turning point a ....
G C9 Dsus4 G
Time grabs you by the wrist ...
Em Dsus4 C G
So make the best of these ...
Em Dsus4 C G
It's not a question but a ...

Chorus
Em G Em G
It's something unpredictable ...
Em Dsus4 G (where verse riff cuts back in)
I hope you have the time .... (Start struming G C Dsus4)

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Using the Gadd5, Cadd9, and Dsus4 chords definately makes the song easier. If you look you don't have to move your ring and pinky throught the whole song(unless you want to play a regular Em). The strumming interlude in the middle of the song is the G, C, D progression strummed. I use DDUDU but I think I will try DDUUDU when I get home, this sounds right in my head we'll see.

By all means try to learn everything you can. It may not sound perfect at first but keep working on it and it will come. If you learn one thing on guitar it will usually make learning something else easier.

Just remember that you can't learn guitar super quick, it takes time and alot of effort. But like somebody said on here one time, If it wasn't a challenge to play, would you really want to?.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

Welcome aboard and for what it is worth I suggest going for it. I am working on Broken by Seether, not particularly tough, but considering I have been playing for four weeks, it isn't sound too bad. So give it a shot, just make sure your expectations are in the right place.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@soju04)
Eminent Member

Here is a great site for this song, really helped me get it down. Check out the Video Tour link.

http://www.guitartutoronline.com/songs/time_life/time_life.htm

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Here is a great site for this song, really helped me get it down. Check out the Video Tour link.

http://www.guitartutoronline.com/songs/time_life/time_life.htm

Excellent lesson. Thanks

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

i knew very well my chords weren't the exact chords. but if you turn your attention to that link that was just given by someone to an online lesson, this guy seems to agree with me on the strumming pattern DDUUDU for each chord for verses 2 chorus and end. i'm telling you its the right strumming pattern try, it sounds wonderful. i just always thought the G C D is easier personally i knew it was G Cadd9 blah blah blah.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I second MaxRumble's chords with a DDUUDU pattern. It's definitely easier to play this way than going for the fingerpicking intro and bass strum. And it still sounds very good and recognizable even with just this strumming pattern all the way through. Definitely a good one for a beginner to work on. Even if you work at it for a couple weeks and can't quite play it, when you go back to playing the stuff you were playing before, it'll seem really easy! That's why I like trying to play stuff I know I can't play...

TZ

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

ive been playing 4 weeks and i stuggle to get through the most simple of songs.......i dont practice as often as i would like (what with kids and work) i would love to play anything by greenday....sorry getting a bit off track there wanted to say well done for getting so far in just a few weeks!!

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

You're doing great. I have been playing guitar for almost 3 months now and I still have pauses when changing chords and there aren't any songs yet that I feel like I really know.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Probably the reason you are having a hard time with it is because there are multiple strumming patterns that change during the song. If I remember correctly it starts with D/DUDU then switches to a base strum(B) like this BDUDU then back

You can how ever do the D/DUDU through the entire song it just won't sound perfect.
D/DUDU
G C D
Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.

D/DUDU
G C D
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
BDUDU
Em D C G
So make the best of this test and don't ask why,

BDUDU
Em D C G
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time.

BDUDU
Em G Em G
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

BDUDU
Em D G
I hope you had the time of your life.....

So basically whenever there is an Em in the line it is the base strum
In the intro and the first two lines of each verse, change the C for a Cadd9. and use the 3rdfinger to play an extra D at the 3rd fret of the 2nd string, and you've not only cut down the amount of hand movement you have to do but you use the D as a pedal tone, which is what gives Time Of Your Life that particuler sound.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member

hiya ...

the aforementioned lesson .. well it does giv a accurate tab for the song ...
but as far as D or U concerned .. my advice wud be .. dont be overly concerned .. a D or U wont make much difference if it is one string < 2 or more is a different story all together >

also .. u could also try to fingerpich through this song .. as it is nothing but the g , c9 ,d chord shapes wid Em being used .

jus my 2 cents
:wink:

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Been working on this song some time now and progressing nicely on the rythem but would like to get the "crosspicking" down, as it's done in the intro and outro to the song. The lesson posted here mentions it but I'm still not getting it. The lessons video goes to quickly for me on that part too.

Can someone break down what this crosspicking is and what I'm supposed to do?

Thanks!

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3