Clear all

trying to learn song

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

does anyone know the song fast car by tracy chapman, well i found a version by vertical horizon live thats really cool, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the chords for this or tell me where i could find them. Also what type of scale is the guitarist using?

Special K

(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/Guitar%20Music%20for%20Web/Chapman,%20Tracy%20-%20Fast%20Car.htm

It's really just 2 riffs and a couple of chords. For all beginners, check out this website for VERY good beginner tabs.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've only heard that song a couple times awhile back. I'd never of guess'ed tracy did it. Thanks.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the plug, Bob! I'm glad you like the site.

It sounds like Tracy Chapman plays her signature riff on the 2nd and 3rd strings with a capo 2. The open 3rd string drones while she slides around on the second string. It sounds great in the recording, but try recreating it when you're playing alone at home, and you'll be disappointed. That's because it's the changing bass notes that suggest the chord changes. Without the bass, the riff sounds lost.

The version that I wrote out is for solo acoustic guitar, and incorporates both the riff (more or less) and the chord changes. Enjoy!

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the plug, Bob! I'm glad you like the site.

No plug - just the truth! I picked up 4 or 5 songs quickly. The biggest one being "Daughters". I never thought I would learn that but your version is ... well, it's great!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member

Oh, yeah--I remember you emailing me about "Daughters". Glad you dug it.

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Being a beginner, I'm enjoying the heartwoodguitar.com site as well. Nice stuff.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote