Clear all

Tuning Down A Half Step

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is tuning down a “half step” on all strings the same as tuning down a “major third”? I am trying to tune down a half step using a Korg 30C chromatic tuner.

Thanks

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

No, down a half-step is one fret which is a minor second. A major third would be 4 frets.

If you have a chromatic tuner though, does it not just tell you the name of the note you're playing? If so, just tune the strings to Eb-Ab-Dd-Gb-Bb-Eb :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you have a chromatic tuner though, does it not just tell you the name of the note you're playing? If so, just tune the strings to Eb-Ab-Dd-Gb-Bb-Eb :wink:
Or:

D# G# C# F# A# D#

if your chromatic tuner uses the sharp sign (#) instead of flat (b) in the LCD.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member

ok so I'm not sure if I have a chromatic tuner or not...

its setup like this.

-50 | | | | | 0 | | | | | +50

low E A D G B E

so I know that when the line thing goes to the 0 its perfectly in tune...but im not sure at what point the note is half a step down. like is it when its pointing at -50 or one of the other lines or what...

sorry if this is confusing, its just really hard to explain over the internet.

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member

Not to hijack this thread too much, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a chromatic tuner that's of good quality and fairly easy to use?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

ok so I'm not sure if I have a chromatic tuner or not...

its setup like this.

-50 | | | | | 0 | | | | | +50

low E A D G B E

so I know that when the line thing goes to the 0 its perfectly in tune...but im not sure at what point the note is half a step down. like is it when its pointing at -50 or one of the other lines or what...

sorry if this is confusing, its just really hard to explain over the internet.

That sounds like it's just a regular guitar tuner, it will only tell you when you are in tune in reference to regular tuning. A chromatic tuning would "listen" to a note, then tell you what note you are playing and whether or not it is in tune or slightly flat or sharp. As for good chromatic tuners, I have a KORG CA-30 (it's black and fairly small) and it's pretty good in my opinion, but i've only had it for about two weeks.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

If you are OK to tune by ear then go here

http://www.tunemybass.com/

choose 6 string guitar and then 1/2 step down, it will play you how each string should sound as many times as you like, tune your guitar to match

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

In terms of Chromatic tuners I use a Korg CA-30. I play mandolin and guitar so it has been an invaluable little addition. It's inexpensive .. accurate .. and easy to use.

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

I've always done it so all the notes on my first fret are the same as when the guitar is in regular tuning -- EADGBE.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I've always done it so all the notes on my first fret are the same as when the guitar is in regular tuning -- EADGBE.

D'oh! How come I didn't think of that? :)

Easy peasy!

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

If you're stuck to tune by hear and all you have is a regular tuner, like the one CoreyB mentions, you can use Clockwork trick to use your tuner and fret the strings at the 1st fret or...
if you're sure your guitar is already properly tuned and you don't have a tuner handy, you fret the 6st string at the 4th fret (Ab) and tune the 5th string with it.
You now have the 5th string tuned half step down, then use the normal hear tuning method for the other strings based on the 5th strings and you'll be completely tuned down half a step.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Does it look like this?

this is actually a Korg CA30

If so notice in the upper right of the lcd screen the note your tuned to thats where you'll find the Eb Ab ect.. you also want the green light between the two red leds to go off just like normal.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Art&Lutherie:

That is the one I have. So, I loosen the string until the needle drops down to the -50 on the flat side, right?

Bonus question: If I tune a half step down, does putting a capo at the first fret bring me back to standard EADGBE tuning?

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Bonus question: If I tune a half step down, does putting a capo at the first fret bring me back to standard EADGBE tuning?

Yes, it does

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That is the one I have. So, I loosen the string until the needle drops down to the -50 on the flat side, right?
No, -50 is halfway between one note and the next - you still need it to be on 0 with the green light lit up, but for a different note. So, your 6th string which would normally be an E would be tuned to Eb (aka D#); your 5th string, normally an A would be tuned to Ab (aka G#), etc.

When starting from E and tuning down to Eb, you'll notice the needle go down until it's at -50, then as you keep going down the note name at the top right will change to Eb/D# and the needle will jump up to +50. You keep going and eventually it'll get to 0 again, but for the different note.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote