Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

tuning help

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)

My teacher used to re-tune my guitar every session, even though it was in tune with my electronic tuner. His reason... that I should be in tune with him.

That's always a good starting point - there's nothing worse than one of you being out of tune when you're trying to pay something together.

By all means, return to your tuner when you get home, but when you're playing ensemble you all need to be tuned to the same reference point. You could always suggest to your tutor that he tunes to your guitar as you're tuned to your tuner; he might not like you very much for it, but at least he'll know that you've got faith in your own tuning abilities.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Your instructor did a reasonable job of relative tuning. Most people have trouble hearing the B string pulsing when it's out of tune. So I don't think your tuning really changed much at all on the way home.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The thing I am most afraid of is tuning the guitar. Oh the pain...

But my advice would also be to change the strings. You can also try to tune a little by ear.Try the 55545 method after getting low E string to pitch (using a recorded sound reference). Works good for your hearing.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2