Tuning With An Electric Guitar Tuner

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble tuning my guitar half step down. I have it set to one flat symbol. Here's my problem..I'll adjust the pitch and it will be on the green light..but when I play it, it soudns liek crap..I'm not sure what I"m doing wrong..someitmes when I turn it a lot one way, it will go to green but be completely out of tune..it will say HC, 3A, 1G, and some other things..I'd like to tune half step down and I have an electric guitar tuner..please help me

Thanks a lot,
Eric

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Place a capo (or finger) across the first fret and tune as normal to standard tuning EADGBE. When you take off the capo (or your finger) your guitar will be half a step lower.

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i appreciate the response..but when I tune the last 2 strings in particular..it will show it being on the green circle..as if it's tuned properly..but it will sound AWEFUL...

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

use the tuner to tune your high E string to your new pitch.
then from there without using a tuner you vcan tune the rest of the strings.
I think it's called relative tuning.
say you can tune the high E string to your pitch. then tune the second from the first string, the third string from the second string...etc etc...
I usually do that when I tune up (in standard).
here's how:
say I want to tune the third string. I fret the first (high E string) at the 3rd fret and then tune the 3rd string to that.
the second string fretted at the 3rd fret will tune the 4th string.
the 3rd string fretted at the 2nd fret will give you the 5th string.
and the 4th string fretted at the 2nd fret will give you your low 6th string.
of course you are using your ear instead of a tuner.
the tuner will give you the 1st string.
tuning this way by ear may help in many ways.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Check your intonation at the 12th fret.

After that, tune to E and check the harmonics on the 5th and 7th frets - the fifth fret harmonic one one string should match the 7th fret harmonic on the string above it. (Except the G and B strings - they aren't tuned to a fourth.)

If that all matches up, you should be good - now, tune down to Eb and do the same thing. Are the harmonics off?

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

what are the harmonics? Thanks everyone for the input...I feel really stupid..it's just...when I'm using my electric tuner...it shows on green but it soudns aweful...so I turn it one way...then it goes to green again and still sounds bad...if I'm tuning the 6th string (bottom)..what should the letter or number say on the electric tuner? (3A, HC, 1G, etc)

Thanks again everyone, I am going to use some of your methods

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

alright..it's confirmed..I am REALLY dumb..I accidently hit the BASS button on my tuner..that's why it's all messed up...my fault..I understand it now..thanks everryone for thier insight...I appreciate the help..I love these forums

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Hey, it happens! Glad to hear you figured out the problem.

ReplyQuote