Clear all

vocals

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can someone explain to me how one can sing notes and how that can fit into a certain key

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Do you know how notes on a guitar (or another instrument) fit into a key? It's just the same. I'll assume you don't know. You have 12 possible notes, in total. They repeat evey 12, like the hours on a clock do. Most music is composed using a group of notes known as a scale. The key of C major contains the notes C-D-E-F-G-A-B. After that comes another C, and the pattern starts over again. Between some of those notes are what we call accidentals; sharps and flats. That's how we can get 12 notes with only 7 letters. C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B. Then another C. When we play using mostly the notes from the C major scale, we say we are playing in the key of C major. The key isn't really different from the scale, we just use a different term for it.

A note is a particular pitch. If you're used to thinking about notes at all, you're probably used to thinking about them as particular places on your guitar's fretboard. Fretting in those places will produce pitches that are correct for those notes. It's easy to make the right note come out, since it's in a certain place, and you can look to see if your finger is in the right place. When singing, you produce the notes with your voice. It's trickier to make the right note since you can't look and see whether you're in the right spot. A reference note (played on the guitar, perhaps) will help you start a tune in the right spot. From there, you just have to produce the proper pitch for each note. Playing them on the guitar first will help.

That wasn't especially clear, so just ask for clarification where you need it.

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks

i have basic knowledge on scales as i've had a teacher for a few months...
it just seems those singers must have alot of talent to be able to have such control of their voice

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

it's acutally pretty simple, but it's different from guitar, singers learn how each interval feels, and guitarists usually learn scales. When you sing a scale, you're not thinking "MAJOR" all the way through, you're thinking "whole step, another whole step, half step, whole step, whole, whole, and the octave/half step"

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Much of the time singers will memorize the melody, and maybe use the music as a memory aid. They just learn to hear intervals in their head, the same way a guitarist feels them in the fingers.

ReplyQuote